Why Kyivan Patriarchate Did Not Join Constantinople

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2012
      http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/46198/

      Patriarch Filaret Explains Why Kyivan Patriarchate Did Not Join
      Constantinople
      3 January 2012, 11:50

      The head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patriarchate (UOC-KP)
      said in an interview to RISU that in 2008, Ecumenical Patriarchate of
      Constantinople proposed the UOC-KP to join it and, later, receive an
      autonomy. The conditions of Constantinople, however, were unacceptable
      for the clergy of the UOC-KP and the union was not concluded.

      "Some say that we did not join the Patriarchate of Constantinople as
      Filaret did not want to give up leadership. But it is not true. No one
      set a condition of my resignation either in Fanari or Kyiv. No one!" he
      said.

      "The situation was as follows. They conducted negotiations with me and
      proposed us to join the Constantinople Patriarchate. Viktor Andriiovych
      [editor: Yushchenko] agreed and said: 'We will be canonical! Moreover,
      we will be first! For the Patriarchate of Constantinople is the first
      and the Moscow Patriarchate is the fifth,'" said the patriarch.

      According to Patriarch Filaret, at the time of the negotiations in 2008,
      Ukrainians wanted to obtain recognition and Greeks wanted to subordinate
      Ukraine. “Instead, it proposed conditions which were worse than the
      conditions of the Kyivan Metropolitanate before the 17th century and
      than the present conditions of the UOC-MP,” said the patriarch.

      The hierarch said that the delegation of the UOC-KP demanded from
      Constantinople guarantees that the UOC-KP would be granted autocephaly
      in a specified period of time but Constantinople refused to give such
      guarantees.

      Patriarch Filaret noted that it is not necessary to join anyone in order
      to obtain recognition and cited the examples of the Bulgarian and
      Romanian Churches.

      To obtain the recognition of their autocephaly, neither Hellenic nor
      Bulgarian nor Romanian Orthodox Churches joined Constantinople but were
      simply recognized autocehalous, that was all. And if anyone says that it
      is impossible to recognize the Kyivan Patriarchate because its head was
      anathematized by Moscow, there is an answer to it as well: how then was
      the Bulgarian Church, where all the bishops were anathematized by
      Constantinople, recognized?” he said.