'Administrative-Disaster' Discussion Opens 16th AAC in Seattle

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2011
      OCA's 16th All-American Council in Seattle opened with a discussion of the "administrative disaster" which occurred in the Church

      [Edited machine translation] The 16th All-American Council of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) -- de facto autocephalous Church, whose canonical autocephaly is recognized only by the ROC -- opened in the evening of October 31 in Seattle. The Council program is designed to last until November 4, according to the official website.

      According to the OCA Statute , the All-American Council meets every three years; it consists of all the bishops of the Church, elected clergy and laity, as well as representatives of seminaries and monasteries. The Council is the supreme legislative organ of the Orthodox Church in America. Before the Council discussion. A live webcast of the Council's plenary session is trasmitted by the Orthodox "Ancient Faith Radio".
      By tradition, the Council opened with the report of the OCA's Primate, Metropolitan Jonah. The Primate of the Church recognized that the three years that have elapsed since his election Metropolitan of All America and Canada, have been difficult in his life. Jonah assumed full responsibility for the "administrative catastrophe," which led him to ask f the Council for forgiveness and he promised to turn for professional help to assess his mental and physical health.
      Orthodox blogger Daniel Struve cites in his translation a key piece of the report: "The OCA stands for the vision of a united fully autocephalous Church in America embracing all Orthodox Christians, with a single Synod and a single Primate, in communion with all the other Orthodox Churches and recognized by all. We need to be free to discern locally what is necessary for the mission of our Church in this land. However, we equally need to be in full and unimpaired communion and concelebration with the rest of the Orthodox world. There is much work to do. The Holy Synod and I strongly support the autocephaly of the OCA, and we support the movement toward Orthodox unity. It is our very nature as a Church."