OCANews: +Jonah to Enter "Evaluation" Program November 14th

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      http://www.ocanews.org/news/16thAACJonahToBeEvaluated11.1.11.html

      11.1.11

      From
      the 16th AAC in Seattle
      +Jonah To Enter "Evaluation" Program November
      14th

      Metropolitan Jonah began his Opening Address to the 16th All
      American Council
      with an apology and announcement. He
      stated:

      "....These last three years have been the three most difficult
      years of my life.
      I have been under a relentless barrage of criticism for
      most of this time for
      every forum I am meant to oversee: the chancery
      officers and staff, the
      Metropolitan Council and most troubling to me, the
      Holy Synod of Bishops.

      I admit that I have very little experience of
      administration and it was a risk
      for the 2008 Council to elect me, the newest
      and most inexperienced of bishops.
      I have worked very hard to fulfill your
      expectations. But this is not an excuse.

      These three years have been an
      administrative disaster. And I need to accept
      full responsibility for that
      and for my part in it. I did not understand the
      depths of the breakdown with
      the bishops. I thought we had a good working
      relationship but obviously there
      is something very broken. I need to regain the
      confidence of my brother
      bishops and of many others in leadership positions in
      our Church. I tell you
      all here and now that I am deeply sorry for that and I
      ask your
      forgiveness.

      How to get to the root of this breakdown in trust and repair
      it, if possible, is
      the real challenge for me and I am
      willing to do
      whatever is necessary, working in close collaboration with the
      Holy Synod. As
      a first step I have agreed to begin a process of discernment that
      will
      include a complete evaluation in a program that specializes in
      assisting
      clergy, starting the week of November 14th. I have chosen to do
      this out love
      for you, the people of the Church, and for my brother
      bishops

      I ask you all for your forgiveness, understanding, patience,
      prayers and
      support..."

      ( You can listen to the full 35 minute speech
      here. )
      http://ancientfaith.com/

      The Metropolitan's address was followed by a brief Response by
      the Synod, which
      featured remarks by Bishops Tikhon, Benjamin, Matthias,
      Melchisedek, and
      Michael. All the hieararchs thanked +Jonah for his agreement
      to participate in
      an evaluation. (The Synod has previously asked and had
      agreement for an
      evaluation in February in Santa Fe. Upon leaving Santa Fe,
      however, the
      Metropolitan refused.) In the course of answering questions from
      the floor the
      bishops later revealed that this time two members of the Synod
      would participate
      with the Metropolitan in the evaulation program, without
      specifying what that
      would actually mean.

      St. Luke's
      Institute

      While neither the Metropolitan nor Synod members publicly
      stated where the
      "evaluation" would take place, sources have indicated that
      it will take place at
      the Saint Luke Institute, outside Washington DC, in
      Silver Spring Maryland. St.
      Luke's describes itself as

      "... an
      internationally renowned treatment and education center dedicated to
      bringing
      the healing ministry of Christ to Catholic clergy and men and women
      religious
      in need.

      As a Catholic organization, we understand, respect and value the
      vocations of
      those we serve. Our dedicated staff recognizes the unique
      challenges facing men
      and women in ministry, and the importance of healthy
      human formation. We seek
      healing, recovery and, whenever possible, a return
      to healthy ministry for those
      who come to us.

      Our professional staff
      takes an integrated approach to healing that includes
      psychotherapy,
      spirituality and physical wellness. Our treatment approach is
      tailored to the
      individual and is designed to assist him or her in healing from
      anxiety,
      addictions, depression, substance abuse, interpersonal problems,
      sexual
      issues or other challenges."

      According to St. Luke's the
      evaluation process takes one week.

      Diocesan Decisions

      In other
      news, both the Dioceses of the West and the South passed resolutions at
      their
      Diocesan Assemblies held yesterday advocating the adoption of the
      $50
      assessment for the next Triennium. At the Diocese of the Midwest
      Assembly, also
      held yesterday morning, Bishop Matthias spoke out against the
      reduction, and
      advocated retention of the current assessment.

      The
      Diocese of the South also advocated withdrawal from the National Council
      of
      Churches because "The NCC is a prime leader in the movements du-jour such
      as
      interfaith ministry (including preaching and prayer not only with
      non-Orthodox
      Christians but also with non-Christian faiths), feminism, and a
      liberal social
      agenda." The resolution suggests that the funds currently used
      to support the
      NCC be used to support Orthodox groups such as IOCC,
      instead.

      The 16th All American Council continues until Friday.

      -
      Mark Stokoe