Metropolitan Hilarion accuses West of leaving Egypt Christians in the lurch

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011

      01 November 2011, 10:19
      Metropolitan Hilarion accuses West of leaving Egypt Christians in the lurch

      Moscow, November 1, Interfax - Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, the
      head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations has accused
      the West of failing to stand up for Egyptian Christians during recent
      violence against them and has slammed Western governments for putting
      economic interests before human life.

      "Despite the unprecedented escalation of violence against Christians in
      Egypt early in October, not a single Western country has put any
      pressure on the provisional military authorities of that country or
      threatened economic sanctions," a statement from the Synodal Department
      for External Church Relations quoted Metropolitan Hilarion as saying
      during a ceremony at the university of Lugano, Switzerland, in which he
      had the degree of doctor honoris causa conferred on him.

      Footage showing armored personnel carriers "crushing a peaceful Coptic
      demonstration and shooting at unarmed people remain outside the
      attention of politicians" though they shocked the entire world, he said.
      The Copts are a Christian ethnic group in Egypt.

      "Neither has an appropriate assessment been made of the speech of the
      Egyptian minister of security, who denied that weapons had been used
      against demonstrating Copts, or of reports about falsifying the death
      toll and the character of injuries. It is the right of the churches to
      ask the governments of their countries how long this would go on. Why
      are economic interests more valuable for those countries than the lives
      of completely innocent people who get killed just because they believe
      in Christ?" he said.

      He called for Christians to come together "to defend their brothers and
      sisters who are suffering in various regions."

      "If this doesn't happen, we will look even less convincing in the eyes
      of this world. On the other hand, by defending our fellow believers, we
      will strengthen our positions, will become more unified, and hence
      closer to one another," he said.

      Attacking the secularization of the West, he said Christians face "an
      imperative and seemingly unfeasible task to lead modern so-called
      post-Christian civilization out of its crisis."

      "Christian Churches, primarily the Orthodox and Catholic Churches, and
      also the ancient Eastern Churches, should come together today and join
      forces. We have the imperative need to create a community of Churches
      following the apostolic tradition where we would together discuss
      problems and challenges of the modern world," the metropolitan said.

      He also suggested setting up "joint informal information structures that
      would provide objective, fresh and verified information on events that
      are of determining significance for the future of the Church and the world."