Patriarch says “shame parade” should not be held

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011
      http://www.b92.net/eng/news/society-article.php?yyyy=2011&mm=09&dd=30&nav_id=76643

      Friday 30.09.2011 | 15:50
      Patriarch says “shame parade” should not be held
      Source: Beta

      BELGRADE -- Serbian Orthodox Church (SPC) Patriarch Irinej has called on
      competent authorities not to allow the Pride Parade, which he called
      “shame parade”, to be held.

      “Our city and our public are this year being shaken by the issue of
      holding of so-called ‘shame parade’. I would with much justification
      call this plague ‘shame parade’, which drags human dignity through mud
      and steps on the holiness of life and family,” the patriarch said in a
      statement.

      “We are getting the impression that the announced parade in Belgrade
      should cover up and hide the tragic condition of the Serbian people in
      sad Kosovo and Metohija,” Irinej stressed.

      He wondered who needed unrests and clashes with all possible
      consequences in the streets of Belgrade.

      “We also wonder who will Serbian police protect and defend. A group of
      queers, who want to impose their minority views, which are basically
      unnatural, to the other, vast majority that does not share and accept
      their understanding of the meaning of life and human freedom,” the
      Serbian patriarch pointed out.

      According to him, there has been enough of humiliation and fulfillment
      of foreign wishes.

      “Such perverse freedom that is offered by the Pride Parade is unknown in
      our history, tradition and culture. We appeal to all those who intend to
      stand up to the parade, if it is held, not to do that with use of force
      because it is not a Christian way of fighting,” Irinej stressed.

      “Evil cannot be defeated with evil, only with good. In this specific
      case we believe that it would be most useful to totally ignore the
      parade participants. That may sober them up. We pray to our lord that
      common sense prevails in both sides,” the patriarch concluded.