Encyclical of Archbishop Demetrios for September 11, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2011
      http://www.goarch.org/news/encseptember112011eng

      Encyclical of Archbishop Demetrios for September 11, 2011
      Protocol 161/11
      September 11, 2011

      The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

      To the Most Reverend Hierarchs, the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the
      Monks and Nuns, the Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of the
      Greek Orthodox Communities, the Distinguished Archons of the Ecumenical
      Patriarchate, the Day, Afternoon, and Church Schools, the Philoptochos
      Sisterhoods, the Youth, the Hellenic Organizations, and the entire Greek
      Orthodox Family in America

      Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

      On this Sunday, the tenth anniversary of the tragic events of September
      11, 2001, we address you in the faith, love and hope that we share in
      our Lord Jesus Christ. As we gather in our places of worship on this
      day, we cannot help but call to mind the dreadful acts of terrorism and
      the tremendous destruction that shocked the entire world and burdened
      every heart with pain and sorrow. As we now pause on this solemn
      anniversary to remember the nearly three thousand innocent lives lost
      that day, among whom were many Orthodox brothers and sisters, let us
      also remember the great acts of self-sacrifice, heroism, and compassion
      that can never be forgotten, as so many offered their lives for the
      safety and well being of others. And let us remember our church of Saint
      Nicholas, the only house of worship destroyed on that day of hatred, and
      for which we lovingly and unceasingly work to rebuild at Ground Zero.

      We ask all of the parishes of the Holy Archdiocese of America to conduct
      a memorial service at the end of the Divine Liturgy today, and to join
      with others throughout this nation and the world in recognizing this as
      a solemn day of remembrance, as we offer prayers for the eternal memory
      and repose of the innocent victims of the barbaric attacks and for those
      who heroically fell in the line of duty attempting to help others and
      save lives. We shall continue to offer prayers for and ministry to the
      families who lost loved ones on that day. In the years that have
      followed the tragic events of September 11, 2001, so many of you have
      given generously to meet the needs of these families. We give thanks to
      God for this outpouring of compassion that is a genuine expression of
      faith in Him and an offering of consolation and assistance to so many.

      On this tenth anniversary of September 11, 2001, as we remember with
      faith and love the fallen and those who lost so much, we also affirm our
      hope for the future, enshrining this hope in the rebuilding of Saint
      Nicholas Church. While we cannot bring back except in memory those who
      perished that day, we can bring back our Church as a visible sign that
      hatred can never conquer love, and evil can never defeat good. I call
      upon all of you to offer fervent prayers for the victims – both dead and
      living, and prayers that our efforts to rebuild Saint Nicholas will soon
      come to fruition. From the smoldering ruins of that horrific day, may
      the Lord give us glory instead of ashes (Isaiah 61:3) so that all people
      may find solace, peace and recollection in the new Saint Nicholas
      edifice that will rise at Ground Zero, and know the peace of God which
      surpasses all understanding (Philip. 4:7) which comes only from our Lord
      Jesus Christ.

      With paternal love in Christ,

      †DEMETRIOS
      Archbishop of America