Cyprus Archbishop cautions over fate of Middle Eastern Christians

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2011
      http://famagusta-gazette.com/cyprus-archbishop-cautions-over-fate-of-middle-eastern-christians-p12860-69.htm

      Cyprus Archbishop cautions over fate of Middle Eastern Christians

      FAMAGUSTA GAZETTE
      • Fri, Sep 02, 2011
      Cyprus Archbishop Chrysostomos ΙΙ attended a gathering of the Primates
      of the four Patriarchates and the Αutocephalous Church of Cyprus, at the
      seat of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Istanbul, speaking about the
      dangers which Christians face in Middle Eastern countries, due to
      potential prevalence of extremist elements.

      The Archbishop referred to raids in places of worship, killings of
      innocent people, acts against Christian property and violations of even
      the most basic human rights, which Christians in the Middle East face today.

      He added that “we personally experience the tragedy of violent
      displacement of our people from their ancestral homes. We watch, without
      being able to react, the colonization of our land with settlers and the
      destruction of our holy sites”.

      The objective of extreme elements is to force Christians out of these
      lands, the Archbishop continued and noted that the prestige of the
      Ecumenical Patriarch needs to be utilized in order to protest these acts
      to the UN, the EU and other organisations.

      Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew noted in his speech the agony that
      events in Middle Easter countries cause to people living in them, due to
      the prevailing turbulence that has unpredictable consequences for peace
      and prosperity.

      Bartholomew also referred to the preparation of the Great Synod of the
      Orthodox Church, saying that those attending should exchange their views
      on this issue, which may encounter difficulties, but is not very far
      from reaching the desired goal.

      Cyprus has been divided since the 1974 Turkish invasion. The island’s
      cultural and religious heritage, in northern Turkish occupied Cyprus,
      has been badly pillaged over the years and many religious and other
      artifacts have found their way in the black market abroad. — (KYPE)