Religious leaders urge Russians to heed lessons of World War II

  • John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2011
      Ecumenical News International News Highlights

      Religious leaders urge Russians to heed lessons of World War II

      Moscow (ENInews)--Patriarch Kirill I of the Russian Orthodox Church and
      Rabbi Berl Lazar, the chief rabbi of Russia, speaking at separate ceremonies
      on 8 and 9 May, urged Russians to heed the lessons of World War II. The end
      of the war, known in Russia as the Great Patriotic War, is marked on 9 May
      in most of the other former Soviet republics as Victory Day over Nazi
      Germany. Soviet civilian and military deaths in the war are estimated at
      upwards of 20 million and the losses are still seared into memories here,
      even of those born long after the war. [504 words, ENI-11-0238]

      ENI Online - www.eni.ch