".the feast of people who proved faithful."

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2011
      http://www.mitras.ru/serm_eng.htm

      FEAST OF THE MYRRH-BEARING WOMEN, ST. JOSEPH OF ARIMATHEA AND ST.
      NICODEMUS
      11th May 1997
      In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy
      Ghost.

      We keep today the feast of a number of the followers
      of Christ of whom we think seldom, because they are mentioned very little in the
      Scriptures. And each of them could be a lesson for us.

      St. Joseph of Arimathea was a rich man who listened
      to Christ with an open mind and did not commit himself. Neither did Nicodemus,
      but Nicodemus was a learned man, part of the Sanhedrin. He had been listening to
      Christ, he had been asking questions from Him, he wanted to understand, he
      wanted to be sure. But neither of them had committed themselves to follow
      Christ, to declare themselves as His disciples.

      And yet, when Christ in the eyes of everyone was
      defeated, when victory had come to His enemies, when He was dead, about to be
      buried, their faithfulness to Him who had taught them words of life came to the
      fore. And they joined the Mother of God to bring down the body of Christ and to
      bury him. Daringly they went to Pontius Pilate and asked for this body so that
      they could bury Him with veneration. In the course of Christ’s life they had
      been listening to Him with a hesitant yet open mind. When death came their
      faithfulness sprang to the fore. And seeing the pain of the Mother of God and
      St. John the Apostle there was no doubt left in them: they must declare
      themselves, because they could not accept that He should be rejected through
      defeat after having been their teacher, their guide and their friend.

      And then there is another group of people, the
      myrrh-bearing women, a group of women who had been following Christ and
      supporting Him and His disciples in their need. When Christ was crucified all
      the apostles fled, with the exception of St. John and with the exception of
      these women. It was not an intellectual conviction that held them as disciples
      of Christ. It was something which perhaps could be defined in the words of the
      pilgrims to Emmaus: 'was not our heart burning within us when He was speaking to
      us on the way'. All the way from Galilee to Jerusalem, from the peace of the
      land to the tragedy of Jerusalem, all this time they had been listening and
      their hearts had come to life - not with personal love but with a deep sense of
      life eternal. These are the words which also St. Peter had said earlier, when
      most people who surrounded them had left, and Christ turned to his disciples and
      said: are you also going to go? And Peter said: where should we go? You have the
      words of eternal life.
      And these words were not simply syllogisms, or proofs, or
      ways of conveying things. When Christ spoke it was life eternal that was awoken
      in them - the door into eternal life that came to life. And they knew that these
      words were true because there was new life in them. And so was it also for these
      women.

      So today we keep the feast of people who proved
      faithful, the ones who in their frailty had not fled, and the ones who in the
      face of defeat and tragedy had suddenly become disciples and faithful. Let us
      remember them, not only seeing their glory as we have done today in the service,
      but also asking ourselves: do we belong, to any extent, to the example given by
      one or another of them? Can we say that in the face of the defeat of Christ we
      would come out and say: I am one of His disciples, although in the time when
      there was no danger around I kept out, hesitant, unsure, asking myself
      questions, indeed asking Him questions? Is any one of us Joseph of Arimathea, is
      any one Nicodemus, and can we say that we are like these myrrh-bearing women,
      whom neither the needs nor the defeat nor the death of Christ had been able to
      alienate from Him?

      None of us is any of it to the full, but let us
      learn from them and try to grow into that faithfulness which they have shown, -
      the ones throughout the life of Christ, and the other ones in the face of His
      defeat. Amen.