Fr. J. Meyendorff: The Danger of Amnesia

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2011
      The Danger of Amnesia
      August 1984

      Although we are fast approaching the Bicentennial of the Orthodoxy in America,
      we are still a young Church, and the country in which we are called to serve
      Christ is a young country. We are, therefore, full of hopes and possibilities,
      the reality of which is demonstrated by the dynamism of the American society,
      but also by the evidence of a slow, but steady progress of Orthodoxy. However,
      all true civilizations have discovered that the energy of youth should not be
      immediately directed to action, but should first given the opportunity to learn
      at the school of experience of others, in order to benefit if future responsible
      service from the wisdom of the past.

      In the Orthodox Church this rather obvious truth is not simply matter of common
      sense. It has absolute, theological dimension, because we believe that there is
      no church without Tradition. The Orthodox faith is not a sect improvised by an
      enthusiastic preacher in the American Bible-belt; it is catholic faith of the
      Apostles, the Fathers, the councils, the saints of all ages, an there is no way
      in which one can live it, or preach it, before learning first and becoming
      rooted in Holy Tradition. This requires responsible effort and patience. To
      Bypass this responsible process, by simplified “super-Orthodox” heresy-hunting,
      by growing of beard and hair, or the formal preservation of the
      nineteenth-century liturgical minutiae would be caricature of traditionalism,
      Indeed – as anyone cognizant of the early Church, o of St Basil the Great, or of
      Photius of Constantinople, or of Orthodox historical and theological literature
      of the last two centuries knows – one cannot preserve Holy Tradition by freezing
      it in forms and formulae of one particular historical moment. If one does that,
      one cuts oneself from the past, as well as from the living responsibility of the
      present: the Russian Old Believers are a tragic example of this.

      Holy Tradition implies uncompromising and total faithfulness to the apostolic
      preaching, unchanging, but also living and saving. It alone teaches how to avoid
      the pitfalls – so typical of Protestantism – of fundamentalism and liberalism.
      It alone allows us to separate not only Truth from falsehood, but also the
      essential from secondary. Maintained by the succession of bishops, it also
      requires knowledge and discernment by all. In our youthful enthusiasm to build
      the Church in this country, let us build the Church catholic – which is two
      thousand years old – and fight the dangers of ignorant amnesia.

      Fr. John Meyendorff. “Witness to the World”, S. Vladimir Seminary Press.
      Crestwood, N.Y. 1987. Pages 192-193.