Clerics rebelled in Abkhazia

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 5:19 PM
      http://eng.expertclub.ge/portal/cnid__8165/alias__Expertclub/lang__en/tabid__2546/default.aspx

      Clerics rebelled in Abkhazia
      05/04/2011 15:47

      On April 4th around 400 clerics and laity gathered in the New Athos
      Monastery and expressed distrust towards self-proclaimed leader of
      the Abkhazian Church hierarchy Vissarion Aplia in connection with
      appointment of Hegumen Efrem (Vinogradov).

      "We are outraged that the father Vissarion decides unilaterally, in
      secret from the Christian people of Abkhazia fate of temples and
      monasteries of Abkhazia that are holy places of our people. In this
      regard, we have completely lost confidence of priest Vissarion Aplia
      and are seriously concerned about the fate of not only monasteries in
      the New Athos, but also about the future of the whole church, "- said
      priest Andrey Ampar at the gathering.

      At the meeting it was decided that on May 15th to convene gathering
      of the church and people which will be attended by representatives of
      the church hierarchy and Abkhazia interested branches of government.
      The invitation will be sent to Abkhazian clerics residing abroad.

      Vissarion Aplia declined to comment on this fact citing the period of
      Lent as a reason.

      Information about sending of Hegumen Efrem (Vinogradov) was reported
      by the Abkhazian media. Today the Georgian Orthodox Church has denied
      this information with reference to the Russian Orthodox Church.

      At the same time it is reported that Hegumen Efrem was not sent to
      serve as hegumen of the New Athos Monastery but as its deputy. And
      information about his stay in Abkhazia has been confirmed.