Fw: August Newsletter, St. Dimitrie Project, Romania

  • Teresa A. Polychronis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004

      From Floyd Frantz, OCMC Long-Term missionary.

      Dear St. Dimitrie Newsletter Readers,

      Greetings for Cluj, and I hope that this finds you all well and in
      good spirits. I am just writing a few lines to you today to update
      you about our work, and to ask for your prayers and support.

      Our work in most area's is going along as we would like. Last week
      we had two really special priest's here from Craiova doing some
      training with us, and next week Mother Siliuana will be with us,
      along with a couple of social workers. They are wanting to start a
      program in Craiova similar to what we are doing in Cluj, and we are
      going to help them to do it. That's the good news.

      On the down side, last week it was brought home to me how much work
      we have left to do here in Cluj, and in Romania generally. The
      psychologist and the priest who work at a "night shelter" here in
      Cluj knew about the St. Dimitrie program, and ask us to come up and
      to visit the patients. We went there a few weeks ago, and found that
      there was a need so decided to return and to start doing some work
      up there. We went on Monday, and there were some interested parties
      in shelters clients. This shelter houses homeless people over night,
      and many of them have alcohol problems. This is normal territory for
      us, working with the homeless or people in hospitals or in jail. The
      problem came up when the manager of the shelter found out about our
      visit. He is saying that there are no alcoholics up there, that if
      they come in drinking, they are not allowed to stay. Therefore,
      there is no need of us coming up there. This is the only night
      shelter like it in Cluj, and it has a large number of people using
      it.

      What has happened is that a few weeks ago there was a riot up there
      because some of the residents were drinking. They tore the place up.
      Well, this place is sponsored by the city, so they cannot admit to
      having anyone up there with alcohol or drug problems. It is the old
      way of thinking, "if I don't admit that it's a problem, then it's
      not a problem." This is exactly the thinking that was common during
      the Communist times.

      In the United States, and in parts of Europe, there are what we
      refer to as "social model detoxification centers". Places where the
      police take intoxicated people to for detox if they have not
      committed a crime, or if the are not so sick that they need a
      hospital. What I am going to do is to try and start a such a place
      here in Cluj. Please understand that this will take some serious
      action on our part over here. We will need to convince the local
      health department that it is practical to have such a place. then we
      will need to find a place, followed  by finding the funding to
      support such a project. I'll be putting more about this project in
      my newsletter over the next few months. In the meantime, please pray
      for us about this particular project. It very much needed over here.

      We have decided to name the day program here in Cluj after St.
      George. It is still under development, and I'll have more about it
      in a few weeks. I know that a few of you are new to the list, and I
      am very happy to have you aboard. This fall I will have webpage up,
      with a history of the St. Dimitrie Project since 2001, complete with
      pictures.

      Have a good one, please keep us in your prayers. You are in ours.
      Please feel free to contact me at: ffrantz@...   If you wish to
      help financially towards our work here in Romania, please send your
      tax deductible donation to:

      OCMC
      Box 4319
      St. Augustine, Fl. 32085-4319

        and please note that it is for the
      St. Dimitrie Project in Romania so that I can use it for my
      projects. Many thanks to you for your kindness.

      In His Love,
      One day at a time,
      Floyd