Accreditation Opens Grants to St. Tikhon's

  • KCIN12
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 2:40 PM
      Scranton Times Tribune home

      Accreditation Opens Grants to St. Tikhon's

      BY MAUREEN MANZANO THE SUNDAY TIMES 07/25/2004

      SOUTH CANAAN --Since 1937, St. Tikhon's Seminary has been preparing
      and educating priests to serve the Orthodox Church in America.

      Now the school is celebrating its full accreditation by the
      Association of Theological Schools.

      "It will make grant money, matching funds and student loans
      available," said the Very Rev. Michael G. Dahulich, Ph.D., seminary
      dean. "All these doors will be opened."

      The seminary received the national recognition after the association
      reviewed the school's self-study report and did an on-site
      evaluation. The seminary became a candidate member of ATS in June
      2002. The ATS has 251 members, three of which are Orthodox.

      The commission voted to grant the initial accreditation for a five-
      year period, through spring 2009. The recognition allows students to
      transfer credits to and from the school.

      The commission commended the seminary's commitment of its faculty,
      staff, and the leadership of Metropolitan Herman, seminary president.

      "He was the spiritual architect of our school and any progress we've
      made has to do with his love for vocations and zeal to make our
      school grow," said the Rev. John Kowalczyk, public relations
      director for the seminary and director of field education.

      The seminary rector is the Right Rev. Tikhon, bishop of South
      Canaan. The bishop is also one of the monks who lives in the
      adjoining monastery. The monastery was founded by St. Tikhon in 1905.

      "What we say in the seminary, you practice in the church," Father
      Kowalczyk said.

      ©Scranton Times Tribune 2004