Serbian fest temps appetites

  • Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      Serbian fest temps appetites
      Aug. 2, 2004
      Gary Post Tribune, IN
      By Kass Stone / Post-Tribune correspondent

      HOBART — The Merrillville based St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church
      ended its three-day Serb Fest, held at its hall in Hobart on Sunday,
      with traditional Serbian food and flare.

      Church President Mike Galich said this year's festival was the most
      successful in St. Sava's history.

      Nearly 8,000 people came to sample the festival's traditional Serbian
      food and music on Friday and Saturday.

      A large crowd was forming in the early hours of Sunday, and Galich
      said he was confident the church's attendance goal of 11,500 would be
      surpassed by the time the festival closed at midnight.

      Highlights of the festival included such Serbian dishes as Cevaps
      (spicy grilled sausages), sarma (stuffed cabbages) and barbecued lamb
      and pork.

      The festival also featured music from noon to midnight all three
      nights.

      Serbian tamburitzan and folk musicians, as well as blues and rock and
      roll bands played in three different locations across the festival
      area.

      "The lamb," said East Chicago's Rosaura Flores. The Flores family
      came to the fest immediately after Mass at East Chicago's Holy
      Trinity Croatian Catholic Church. "We come for the lamb every year.
      They have excellent lamb here all of the time. We usually come from
      church here to have lunch. It's the best of all of the festivals."

      "I like it because, take my family, we're Serbian, Lithuanian,
      Croatian and Hispanic," Flores said. "You can come here and be from
      any culture. You can come here and enjoy the food and the music.
      There are a lot of different cultures that come here."

      "It's tradition," said Hobart's Jennifer Klajajich, while eating
      lunch with her mother, Juanita Klajajich, in the festival's patio
      area. "It's the food, the entertainment, everything. You can't get
      the stuff you get here, just anywhere."

      A member of St. Sava's congregation, Klajajich relishes the
      opportunity the festival gives her and other people of Serb descent
      to celebrate their cultural heritage.

      "It's about heritage," Klajajich said. "We are big about doing things
      the old-fashioned way, music wise, (and) with the food. You can come
      and see all of the members of the church that are here donating their
      time. It's about heritage and community."

      "A lot of people find our culture to be very interesting," Klajajich
      said. "I bring friends and everybody loves it. Everyone has a good
      time, no matter what religion or race or whatever."

      http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/news/z1/08-02-
      04_z1_news_09.html