Updates To Previous Stories: Regarding Financial Transparency in Troy, MI

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2011
      http://ocanews.org/news/Update2.7.11.html

      2.7.11

      Updates To Previous Stories

      • Regarding Financial Transparency in Troy, MI

      According to a recent notice in the January 23rd
      parish bulletin (“The Observer”), St. George
      Cathedral in Troy has come to terms with the
      State of Michigan regarding its tax obligations. The note reads:

      “Thank You Note

      I would like to take this opportunity to express
      my thanks and gratitude for the overwhelming
      support some two dozens of our parishioners who
      helped us raise funds as loans or donations so we
      may pay the sales tax to the State of Michigan.
      On Tuesday, January 18, 2011, a representative
      from the Department of Finance informed us that
      there were no improprieties in any issues deal
      with income and/or payroll taxes. Those who
      squealed against the Church are protected by the
      Whistle Blowers Acts and consequently we were not
      given their identities. However we will continue
      to make all efforts to get their names. We found
      out also that these betrayers will receive 25% of
      the money we have paid on behalf of the Church.
      Again thanks for the love that was expressed by
      our good parishioners. May the Lord God reward
      you with heavenly gifts for your earthly ones.“

      It was reported to OCANews.org that the amount paid to the state was $65,000.

      • Regarding notions of “Maximal Autonomy", this from Moscow, Russia

      It has been reported that the last Episcopal
      Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church adopted
      sweeping changes in their Statute.
      (http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/1403020.html).

      An entirely new chapter (VIII.I. ) concerning
      “Autonomous Churches” was added. Among the new provisions:

      - The Autonomous Churches are regulated by their
      own Statute and by the Statute of the Church in Russia.

      - The decisions taken by the Episcopal Synods and
      Local Councils of the Church in Russia are
      mandatory for the Autonomous Churches.

      - The Patriarch of Moscow has to be commemorated
      in every parish of the Autonomous Church.

      - The bishops of the Autonomous Churches are
      members of the Episcopal Synods and Local
      Councils of the Church in Russia and they are
      expected to participate in their meetings.

      - Any changes in the Statute of the Autonomous
      Church have to be agreed upon in written form by the Patriarch of Moscow.

      - The Church of Russia has the right to put an
      end to the existence of an Autonomous Church it has created.

      The Statute clearly distinguishes between
      Autonomous Churches (Japan, China) and Self-Ruled
      Churches (Latvia, Moldova, Estonia). ROCOR,
      however, is called “a Self-Ruled part of the
      Russian Orthodox Church”, so it is not fully
      clear how, if at all, these new provisions apply to that body in America.

      Clearly, many of the above provisions do go
      against the Tomos of Autonomy delivered in 1970
      to the Orthodox Church in Japan by the Church of
      Russia. The Metropolitan of Tokyo and All Japan
      did not attend to the last Episcopal Synod due to
      bad health. The decision was taken in his absence.

      -Mark Stokoe