Medvedev calls on Orthodox Church to help state maintain ties with fellow-countrymen abroad

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3 3:40 PM

      03 February 2011, 16:52
      Medvedev calls on Orthodox Church to help state maintain ties with
      fellow-countrymen abroad

      Moscow, February 3, Interfax - The Russian government is so far not
      working efficiently enough with the fellow-countrymen abroad and
      therefore needs the Russian Orthodox Church's support in this issue,
      President Dmitry Medvedev said.

      "I have to acknowledge that the state has not succeeded too much in
      this. To put it openly and frankly, the state knows very well how to
      work with the diasporas. We really expect the Russian Orthodox
      Church's assistance in order to intensify numerous contacts with the
      Russian world," Medvedev said at a meeting with members of the
      Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council at the Kremlin.

      "The Church is making an important contribution to the consolidation
      of millions belonging to the Russian world, our fellow-countrymen
      abroad, primarily in the CIS, and also in other parts of the world,"
      Medvedev said, noting that taking part in the Bishops' Council are
      priests representing 22 countries.

      Common spiritual values are "an efficient consolidating factor for
      the entire Orthodox world, and church parishes are centers attracting
      our diaspora and helping it maintain spiritual and cultural ties with
      the homeland," he said.

      Medvedev said he was sure that the state and the Russian Orthodox
      Church will continue to cooperate actively and fruitfully for the
      benefit of the country and its people.