Metropolitan Jonah calls for prayers in wake of Moscow airport suicide bombing

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2011
      http://www.oca.org/news/2391

      Metropolitan Jonah calls for prayers in wake of Moscow airport suicide bombing

      Posted 01/24

      SYOSSET, NY [OCA] -- On Monday, January 24, 2011 -- less than 48
      hours after His Beatitude, Metropolitan Jonah and His Grace, Bishop
      Melchisedek of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania returned from a
      one-week unofficial visit to Russia -- Moscow's Domodedovo
      International Airport was rocked by one or several suspected suicide bombers.

      The blasts, centered in the airport's highly trafficked arrivals
      waiting area, left at least 35 confirmed dead and nearly 150 hurt.
      The exact extent of the damage, both human and material, has yet to
      be fully assessed. At the time of this writing, it is uncertain as to
      who was responsible for the attack.

      "News of the attack was truly frightening," said Metropolitan Jonah,
      who was informed of the attack during Monday's March for Life in the
      US capital. "We had just passed through Domodedovo, which makes this
      tragic news all the more incomprehensible. Our prayers are with the
      victims and their families, as well as the entire Russian nation, as
      yet again we are reminded of the fallen nature of this world and the
      consequences that befall us when that 'peace which passes all
      understanding' is absent in the hearts and minds of so many. I wish
      to assure His Holiness, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, of our prayers
      and deep concern.

      "I call upon the hierarchs, clergy, monastics, and faithful of the
      Orthodox Church in America to pray for the victims of this tragedy,
      and to pray that 'the peace of the whole world' for which we
      continually pray can -- and will -- prevail," Metropolitan Jonah
      added. "May our risen Lord give rest to those who lost their lives in
      the attack, and may His gracious healing be given to the injured."

      An investigation on the bombing has been launched, while Russian
      President Dimitri Medvedev postponed a trip to Switzerland and
      ordered stepped up security at all Russian airports.