Sunday, A Holyday And The First Day Of The Week – Explanations Concerning The Christian Orthodox Calendar On 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2011
      http://www.basilica.ro/en/news/sunday_a_holyday_and_the_first_day_of_the_week_explanations_concerning_the_christian_orthodox_calendar_on_2011_5188.html

      Sunday, A Holyday And The First Day Of The Week –
      Explanations Concerning The Christian Orthodox Calendar On 2011

      30/12/2010

      The Press Office of the Romanian Patriarchate informs us:

      In the Romanian Christian Orthodox calendar on
      2011, Sunday is no longer barred by two red
      lines, but there is continuity between Sunday and
      Monday, in order to underline the truth of the
      Holy Gospel that our Lord, Jesus Christ, was
      risen on the first day of the week that follows
      after Saturday (cf. Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1).

      So, nothing is changed in the Christian –
      Orthodox calendar on 2011, but only the truth is
      underlined that Sunday, the day of the
      Resurrection of the Lord from the dead, is the
      holyday that gives us light for the whole week,
      so that we may live in the light of the
      Resurrection of Christ and prepare for our resurrection.

      In the Christian Orthodox calendar of the Greek
      speaking Churches – the basic calendar of
      Orthodoxy – Sunday appears as the first day of
      the week, as the Holy Gospel says, and Monday as
      the second, Tuesday as the third, Wednesday as
      the fourth, etc, namely Monday is the second day
      after Sunday, as this one is the first day of the week.

      In conclusion, the Romanian Christian Orthodox
      calendar does not change anything in the order of
      the days, but only underlines the fact that the
      week does not begin with Monday, a weekday, but
      with a spiritual day, Sunday, a day of feast and
      rest. For the people who do not know the Holy
      Gospel and the meaning of the calendar well
      enough, Monday is considered the first day of the
      week, because it is the first weekday, but for
      the spiritual Christians who know the Holy Gospel
      and the spiritual Tradition of the Church, the
      first day of the week is the day of the Resurrection, namely Sunday.

      Therefore, we must not be disturbed and we should
      not ask useless questions, but we need to have a
      more spiritual understanding of the calendar and
      of the time of our life, as time of salvation
      focused on the truth of the Resurrection of
      Christ, as foundation of our resurrection from sin and from death.