Bulgarian Orthodox Church head: ‘I am not dead’

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2010
      http://www.sofiaecho.com/2010/12/11/1009527_bulgarian-orthodox-church-head-i-am-not-dead

      Bulgarian Orthodox Church head: ‘I am not dead’
      Sat, Dec 11 2010 11:24 CET byThe Sofia Echo staff

      Bulgarian Orthodox Church head Patriarch Maxim
      has joined a list that includes Mark Twain, Paul
      McCartney and Steve Jobs in rejecting rumours
      that he is dead, or at very least seriously ill and about to die.

      Bulgarian-language media recently fuelled
      speculation that Maxim (96), who has headed the
      church since July 1971, was on the verge of
      death. There also have been rumours that he had
      died and the death was being concealed so that
      church leaders could work on deciding who should succeed him.

      "I am alive," Maxim said in an announcement
      published on December 11 2010 in mass-circulation daily 24 Chassa.

      "Let those who believe and those who do not come
      at 9am on Sunday to the Holy Synod Chapel Saint King Boris in Sofia".

      * It was in 1897 that Mark Twain, real name
      Samuel Clemens, made his famous comment that
      reports of his death were an exaggeration. During
      the 1960s, a conspiracy theory developed that
      Beatle McCartney was dead and had been replaced
      by a lookalike named Billy Shears – a theory that
      adherents found support for in various lyrics by
      the group. In August 2008, a technical error led
      a news agency to prematurely post an obituary for
      Apple computer firm co-found Steve Jobs.