re: reaction of the Ukrainian Catholic Church to visit of Relics to Saskatoon
- From Bishop Bryan Bayda, Bishop of Saskatoon of the Ukrainian Catholic Church of Canada.
Ñëàâà ²ñóñó Õðèñòó! Glory to Jesus Christ!
Dear Clergy, Religious and Faithful of the Eparchy of Saskatoon,
Perhaps you are aware of the possibility of venerating relics of St. Volodymyr the Great. As interesting as this may seem, the official position of the Eparchy of Saskatoon is as follows;
The Chancery Office of the Eparchy of Saskatoon has not received any formal invitation from the Orthodox Church of America (OCA) regarding this opportunity. We are not able to verify the authenticity of the relics, to verify that they are indeed the relics of St. Volodymyr. Consequently:
- The Eparchy of Saskatoon does not officially support any welcome of these relics into our churches or places of worship.
- The Eparchy does not approve of any official visit of these relics by anyone holding an official position in the Eparchy, including officially recognized associations, organizations or groups.
- The Eparchy does not approve of any advertising in bulletins or otherwise promoting this event.
- At the same time, the Eparchy of Saskatoon will not prevent individuals from visiting these relics if they personally wish to visit them.
Please print the above (provided in bold) Eparchial Position in your bulletins immediately.
November 4, 2010