Most well-known rocker priest in Russia turns 50 today

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2010

      04 August 2010, 12:09
      Most well-known rocker priest in Russia turns 50 today

      Moscow, August 4 Interfax - A well-known Orthodox missionary and
      rector of the Moscow church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit at the
      former Lazarevskoye cemetery and the Church of All Moscow Saints
      located in Bibirevo district Hegumen Sergy (Rybko) celebrates his
      50th birthday this Wednesday.

      Father Sergy widely known for his preaching among nonconformist young
      people took the monastic vows at the age of 30 in the Optina Pustyn
      Monastery. According to him, it was his interest in Russian rock
      music that helped him to find his own way to Church.

      "In my younger years when we lived behind the "iron curtain", where
      the stagnation philosophy was the only true doctrine, rock musicians
      were the only ones to tell people the truth. Rock music made people
      think and start seeking God's truth," Father Sergy confessed at a
      recent celebration concert dedicated to the 30th anniversary of
      Voskresenie group held at the Luzhniki Stadium.

      Father Sergy often uses rock concerts to preach to young people.
      Besides, he organized a rock club named after St. Xenia of Petersburg
      at one of the Moscow churches which brought together Orthodox
      nonconformists of Moscow. As an Orthodox missionary, Father Sergy
      often meets foreign and Russian rock stars. Recently, he presented
      the Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir to the Deep Purple frontman Ian
      Gillan during Rock on the Volga festival held in Samara.

      Patriarch Alexy II rewarded Father Sergy (Rybko) for his successful
      missionary work among young people.