Church feels neglected in 9/11 mosque debate

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010
      http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/church-feels-neglected-in-9-11-mosque-debate-1.2171542

      Church feels neglected in 9/11 mosque debate
      Tuesday August 3, 2010 7:24 PM By Heather Haddon

      Members of a Greek Orthodox church that was leveled in the World Trade Center
      collapse are feeling frustrated and forgotten amid the national hubbub about a
      Ground Zero mosque.

      “There’s all this hoopla about the mosque,” said John Couloucoundis, the parish
      president. “\[But we\] are sitting in limbo.”

      The church, which stood on Cedar Street for 85 years, has decamped to a Brooklyn
      parish while it tries to work out a deal for a new house of worship with the
      Port Authority. But negotiations with the agency broke down last year after the
      church refused to receive $20 million in promised funding on installments,
      Couloucoundis said.

      Since then, discussions have gone painfully slow for the 200-member church, with
      the archdiocese having to step in to restart talks, he said. A PA spokesman did
      not return requests for comment Tuesday.
      “We’re frustrated,” Couloucoundis said. “[Port Authority officials] work in this
      unpredictable manner.”