Easter Message of Jerusalem Religious Leaders

  • frjohnbrian@priest.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010
      ZE10040101 - 2010-04-01
      http://www.zenit.org/article-28824?l=english

      Easter Message of Jerusalem Religious Leaders

      "We Know the Power of God to Bring Hope Out of Despair"

      JERUSALEM, APRIL 1, 2010 (Zenit.org <http://www.zenit.org/> ).- Here is the
      joint Easter message proclaimed by 13 Christians leaders of Jerusalem, which
      was released Wednesday.

      * * *

      Alleluia! Christ is Risen. He is Risen Indeed. Alleluia!

      We, the Heads of the Churches in the Land of the Holy One, share with you
      the Good News of the life of our local Christian Church as one Body in
      Christ who live the resurrection faith every day. Our message to you,
      whether near or far, is one of hope, encouragement and perseverance. We know
      the struggles so many Christians face, both here in this land and elsewhere
      in the world.

      We know the power of despair. We know the power of evil. We know the power
      of the "principalities and powers" of this world which promote agendas of
      division and oppression to bring harm to God's people throughout God's
      creation. We, with you, know the power of sin and death.

      We also know the power of the Resurrection. We know the power of God to
      bring hope out of despair. We know the power of God in Christ Jesus, our
      Lord and Savior, to use forgiveness and love to conquer evil. We know the
      power of God in Christ to confront those same "principalities and powers" to
      promote faith, mutual respect, compassion and courage to speak the truth to
      benefit all of God's people. We know the power of the forgiveness of sins to
      redeem relationships in families and among the family of nations. We know
      the power of the gift of eternal life for all who believe.

      Christians, in all generations, face many challenges. Our current generation
      is no different than those who have gone before us. We, with you, have great
      responsibilities and many obstacles. The Christian Church faces struggles
      here in this land and yet we continue to be full of hope that we are at one
      and the same time the Church of Calvary and the Church of the Resurrection.
      Our faith is not in the power of death, but in the power of the sacrificial
      life of Christ.

      We encourage your prayers for us and all your Christian brothers and
      sisters, the "living stones" of all the Christian traditions, here in the
      Land of the Holy One. We ask you to pray for us in our struggle for justice,
      peace and reconciliation, so that when Jesus returns he will not again weep
      for Jerusalem but share in our joy of unity, respect and love for all people
      in the Holy Land. Be assured, at the same time, of our prayers for you.

      May the one and living God: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit bless,
      preserve and keep you, now and always. Amen.

      Alleluia! Christ is Risen. He is Risen Indeed. Alleluia!

      + Patriarch Theophilos III, Greek Orthodox Patriarch
      + Patriarch Fouad Twal, Latin Patriarch
      + Patriarch Torkom I Manoogian, Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Patriarch

      Fr. Pierbattista Pizzaballa, ofm, Custos of the Holy Land
      + Archbishop Anba Abraham, Coptic Orthodox Patriarch
      + Archbishop Swerios Malki Murad, Syrian Orthodox Patriarch

      + Archbishop Bishop Jules Zerey, Greek Melkite Catholic Patriarch
      + Archbishop Abouna Matthias, Ethiopian Orthodox Patriarch
      + Archbishop Paul Sayyah, Maronite Patriarchal Exarch

      + Bishop Suheil Dawani, Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem
      + Bishop Munib Younan, Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan
      and the Holy Land

      + Bishop Pierre Malki, Syrian Catholic Patriarchal Exarch
      + Fr. Rafael Minassian, Armenian Catholic Patriarchal Exarch