Aram I: ready to be part of conciliation in Indian church

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 9:15 PM
      http://groong.usc.edu/news/msg306178.html

      Aram I: ready to be part of conciliation in Indian church

      * From: Katia Peltekian <kpeltekian@...>
      * Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 0:17:34 PST

      The Hindu, India
      Feb 27 2010

      Aram I: ready to be part of conciliation in Indian church

      Staff Reporter

      KOTTAYAM: Catholicos Aram I of the Holy See of Cilicia of the Armenian
      Apostolic Church has called for unity and reconciliation based on
      mutual respect, tolerance and confidence among churches.

      Speaking to mediapersons here on Friday, the pontiff, a champion of
      ecumenism, said he was here as a guest of the Orthodox Church
      (Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church). While he has not come here with
      any specific mission of conciliation among the churches in India, as a
      person who firmly believes in ecumenical causes, he could not remain
      indifferent to the divisive situation (involving the Orthodox Church
      and the Jacobite Syrian Christian Church).

      Reacting to a question, Catholicos Aram I said while he would not
      initiate any reconciliation initiative on his own, as a person, he was
      ready to be part of any initiative in that direction. At this stage it
      is not proper to ask any of the sides to take the initiative, but
      unity is the need of the hour for the Oriental Orthodox churches. The
      primary initiative should be on confidence-building measures among the
      people. Any move towards consensus would remain nonsense if it is not
      brought down to the people-to-people level,' he said and added that
      not only the clergy but also the laity should form part of the
      initiative. `Together they should work to heal the divisiveness,' he
      said.

      It is the necessity of all communities to combat intolerance and lack
      of confidence among various communities, he said.The Catholicos said
      India was an exemplary example of diversity, as was his homeland,
      Lebanon, in preserving and respecting diversity. India is unique in
      the sense that it combines rich diversity with profound spirituality,
      he said.

      http://www.hindu.com/2010/02/27/stories/2010022755500700.htm