Russian President venerated the Saviour's Crown of Thorns

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2010

      03 March 2010, 19:03
      Russian President venerated the Saviour's Crown of Thorns

      Paris, March 3, Interfax - Russian President
      Dmitry Medvedev and his spouse while visiting
      France venerated the Saviour's Crown of Thorns,
      the piece of the Lord's Cross and the Nail from
      the Lord's Cross kept in the Notre Dame Cathedral.

      Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of
      the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External
      Church Relations, said a prayer at the Crown of
      Thorns. Praying together with him and the high
      guests were the representatives of the Russian
      Church in France. The Catholic Church was
      represented by the Right Rev. Jérôme Beau,
      auxiliary bishop of Paris, Msgr. Patrick Jacquin,
      rector of the cathedral, local clergy and knights
      of the Order of Holy Sepulcher.

      For the first time in the history of modern
      Russia, a head of the state prayed at this common
      Christian shrine, the Department for External
      Church Relations site said on Wednesday. After
      the prayer Mr. Medvedev thanked the congregation
      for the the opportunity to visit the Cathedral of
      Notre Dame de Paris and venerate the shrines found here.

      "For me as President of the Russian Federation,
      it is a great honour. For me as a man of
      Christian faith, it is an opportunity to touch
      some specially venerated shrines. I very much
      hope that the meetings of this kind will help us
      strengthen peace and mutual understanding and
      contribute to better relations between our
      countries and to contacts between Churches", Medvedev said.

      In memory of his visit to the cathedral, Mr.
      Medvedev presented it with an ancient icon
      bearing an image of the Saviour in a crown of thorns.

      Then the Russian President and his wife proceeded
      to the Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir. In 2007 this
      icon was given to the Cathedral of Notre Dame de
      Paris by the late Patriarch Alexy II during his historic visit to France.