Fort Ross historical monument in California will not close

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2010
      http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bogoslov.ru%2Ftext%2F573342%2Findex.html&sl=ru&tl=en
      (Google Translation)

      Original (In Russian):
      <http://www.bogoslov.ru/text/573342/index.html>http://www.bogoslov.ru/text/573342/index.html

      Russian historical monument in California will not close

      February 1, 2010
      California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger after the request of the
      governor of the Vologda region Vyacheslav Pozgalev decided not to
      close the historical park of Fort Ross, located in the
      state. Earlier, in connection with the budget deficit, it was
      decided to save the content of more than two hundred national parks
      in the United States.On the verge of closure was a symbol of Russian
      history in California - Fort Ross.

      Governor of the U.S. state of California Arnold Schwarzenegger after
      the request of the governor of the Vologda Region of Russia
      Vyacheslav Pozgalev decided not to close the historical park of Fort
      Ross, located in California, the press service of the administration
      of the Vologda region.

      Schwarzenegger thanked Pozgalev for "appreciation, this state
      historical park, Fort Ross, and attention to his fate.

      In September 2009, in connection with a deficit budget of California
      decided to save the content of more than two hundred national parks.
      . On the verge of closure was a symbol of Russian history in
      California - Fort Ross.

      Fort functioned since 1812 and was considered the southernmost
      Russian settlement in North America. The fort was founded by
      Russian merchant Ivan Kuskov come from Tot'ma. It is located 100
      kilometers north of San Francisco.

      On the territory of the settlements built Orthodox church, in her
      sometimes prayer services. . Russian living in the U.S., visited Fort
      Ross as a sign of respect to the first Russian settlers. It is
      believed that the first Russian colonists built a shipyard and
      windmills in California. Over the weekend hundreds of people visited the fort.

      At the end of September 2009 Pozgalev appealed to the governor of
      California with a request to seek funding for the fort. "Given the
      difficult financial situation in your state in connection with
      natural disasters, however, we would ask you to consider our request
      and the request regarding the future of the state historical park,
      Fort Ross, located in the district rank of", wrote Pozgalev.

      He noted that "for the residents of Totma Vologda Fort Ross - not
      just a historical milestone in the development of Russo-American
      relations. "In 1799, the Russian presence in North America was
      established just born in this city, Ivan Kuskov, which more than
      three decades spent in Alaska and California" - said Pozgalev.

      In Totma Kuskova is a museum, opened in 1990 in his memorial house.
      The museum exhibition is popular among American diplomats and tourists.

      In his letter Pozgalev also noted that "it is today, when the
      Russo-American intergovernmental relations are developing dynamically
      and is particularly fruitful, Fort-Ross may be a bridge between the
      two great powers."

      Later the authorities of California reported that they would not
      close the Russian fortress. Schwarzenegger also announced a plan that
      would preserve the unique monument.

      "Thank you for your message regarding the historical park, Fort
      Ross. I am pleased to report that, despite the financial
      difficulties of California State Parks will remain open. I worked
      very closely with the Department of Finance and the service parks and
      recreation, and we were able to find a solution that will avoid the
      closure of parks in this year ", wrote Schwarzenegger.

      "I appreciate your taking the time to express your interest and
      appreciation of Fort Ross. As you noted, Fort Ross is a part of both
      American and Russia's heritage. I am also proud of the natural
      beauty and rich history of the park: it is in Fort-Ross first
      appeared in our state of the windmill and the shipyard, and Russian
      scientists were the earliest scientific descriptions of flora and
      fauna of California's history. Once again, thank you for taking the
      time to write me "- described in a letter to California governor.

      Governor Pozgalev residents of Vologda and myself, I thanked the
      leadership of the State of California for such a decision. "I hope
      that the next generation of our countries will continue the tradition
      of commemorative and preserve the unique historical park as a pledge
      to strengthen and further development of Russia-US bilateral
      relations," - he wrote.

      In September last year, Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said
      it was considering public-private partnership as a promising form of
      cooperation, and cited as an example the situation with the Russian
      fort in California.

      Then Lavrov turned to the business community, asking, "if
      possible, to support this unique monument of Russian participation in
      the development of America and a symbol of old Russia-US relations.

      According to Park Service California, to maintain the normal
      functioning of the fort is required from $ 300 to $ 800 thousand per
      year, depending on the services provided.