CLASSIFICATION TO THE HAGIOLOGION OF THE NEW HIEROMARTYR FILOUMENOS, MEMBER OF THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE HOLY SEPULCHRE.

  • Christos
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2010
      http://www.jerusalem-patriarchate.info/en/view.php?message_id=376

      http://www.jerusalem-patriarchate.info/en/news.php

      PATRIARCHAL
      AND SYNODIC PRAXIS OF THE PATRIACHATE OF JERUSALEM
      IN CLASSIFYING TO THE HAGIOLOGION OF THE ORTHODOX CHURCH,
      THE NEW HIEROMARTYR SAINT FILOUMENOS, MEMBER OF THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE HOLY
      SEPULCHRE AND SUPERIOR
      OF THE SHRINE ATJACOB'S WELL.
      SESSION
      50TH / 11-9-2009
      The
      Holy Church of Christ in Jerusalem, founded on the divine-flowing blood of our
      Lord Jesus Christ, poured on Golgotha for the remission of sins and for the
      salvation of human kind, bore martyrs in its bosom, whose blood was shed as an
      offering and reciprocation of gratitude and love to Christ, who was willingly Crucified
      for them, and Resurrected from the dead.
      First
      of these martyrs is the ‘proto martyr' and archdeacon Stephanos who, like his
      Saviour, had his life taken while praying for those who stoned him (Acts 7,
      60). Following him was Saint Jacob, the son of Zevedeos and brother of
      Evangelist Ioannis, whom "Herod the King killed with a sword" (Act. 12, 1-2).
      After him was Saint Jacob, the Lord's brother and first Archbishop of the Church of Jerusalem,
      who was thrown from the ledge of the Temple,
      by the deniers of the Lord, and died as a martyr, praying for his persecutors.
      In his footsteps, his relative and heir to the Throne, Bishop of Jerusalem
      Simeon, in the days of Emperor Traianos, was tortured and crucified in Pella of
      Jordan, at the age of a hundred and twenty.
      The
      apostolic period of the Church of Jerusalem is dignified by these four glorious
      spiritual jewels, but not less than the post-apostolic period of the Church,
      which is dignified by the beheaded Jerusalemite martyr Prokopios, by the Gaza martyrs
      Timotheos, Agapios and Thekla, by the beheaded martyr Pamfilos the founder of
      the Library of Caesarea, by the beheaded Promos and Elias in Askalon, Paul of
      Imneia, and by others true and admirable who were mercilessly tortured and died
      in martyrdom under the ruthless persecution of Diocletianos, in almost every city
      in the Holy Land of which " time would fail us to tell"(Heb. 11, 32).
      In
      this august chorus of martyrs of the first centuries in the life of the Church,
      who refused to denounce Christ, are also those who were persecuted during the
      following centuries in the name of Christ, for the truth and integrity of our
      Orthodox faith, such as the Patriarch of Jerusalem Zacharias who was abducted to
      Persia with the Holy Cross, and the Fathers of Saint Sabas monastery, who were
      slaughtered by the Persians.
      In
      this holy charter are included the monks of the Order of Spoudeai who strove
      and gave their souls in defending the Holy Shrines, the tangible testimonies
      and proof of the earthly presence of our Saviour Jesus Christ. These included
      the notable by virtue and holiness, Patriarch of Jerusalem Leondios and the
      ever memorable member of the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre Archimandrite
      Filoumenos, Superior
      of the Holy Monastery of Jacob's Well, who lived in our times.
      He
      originated from Orounta, of the saint-giving island
      of Cyprus and arrived in Jerusalem at a young age,
      having from his devout parents an education and admonition of the Lord. He was also
      a novice monk at the Holy Monastery of Stavrovouni. He studied at the Patriarchal School, where he was distinguished and
      praised for his diligence and good ethos. Graduating from the school, he was
      ordained a schema monk and was integrated into the Order of Spoudeai, the guardians
      of the Holy and Vivifying Sepulchre of our Lord Jesus Christ. As a monk, he showed righteous imitation of
      the Saints and of the God-bearing Fathers of the Church. He was punctual in the everyday reading of
      the prayers and Church services, demonstrated temperance, fasting and frugality.
      When called upon to the axiom of priesthood by the Mother of Churches and he
      accepting, he proved to be a true steward
      of the mysteries of Christ to his commissioning to various holy shrines and in
      serving the flock as a Superior of: the Holy Monastery of the Saint Apostles of
      Tiberias, Superior of the Holy Monastery of Archangel Michael in Jaffa,
      Superior of the Holy Monastery of the Archangels in Jerusalem, director of the dormitory
      of the Patriarchal School, Superior of the Holy Convent of Saint Theodosios the
      superior of the cenobic life, Superior of the Monastery of the Prophet Elias
      and responsible for rite of the church ceremonies at the Monastic Church of the
      Brotherhood of Saints Constantine and Helen, Superior of the Holy Monastery of
      the Transfiguration in Ramallah, and lastly as Superior of the Holy Monastery
      of Jacob's Well in Nablus of Samaria.
      He
      served at this "Jacob's well" (John 4, 6) "In spirit and truth" (John 4, 23),
      fulfilling the verses of the Lord's spoken commandment, "God is spirit, and
      those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth," (John 4, 24) and
      although often threatened by a heterodox fanatic visitor to abandon the shrine,
      he never did.
      He
      was at the Chapel of Jacob's Well performing the regular Vesper service, on the
      afternoon of 16th/29th November of 1979, when due to the
      hatred of the devil who hates good, he was deviously and violently attacked by
      a vile man who, with an axe, opened a deep cut across his forehead, cut off the
      fingers of his right hand and upon escaping threw a grenade which ended the Father's life.
      The
      fragments of the grenade and drops of his blood left traces and stigmata that
      are still visible to this day on the walls of the Chapel, as an eternal memory
      of his martyrdom, crowning his sacred life. His life and his death is a confession of faith, a confession of blood, at
      the place where the Lord revealed to the Samaritan woman who said to Him "I
      know that Messiah is coming, He who is called Christ" (John 4, 25) by telling
      her "I who speak to you am he" (John 4, 26). Through his martyrdom he became a co-martyr
      with Saint Fotini the Samaritan, her sons and sisters. The central church is named
      in honour of her while the southern chapel within the church is dedicated and
      named after Saint Filoumenos, wherein his sacred relics are present and are a
      source of strength and healing to the faithful devotees who honour him. He is also a co-martyr with Saint Ioustinos
      the Philosopher and Martyr, who originates from Nablus, and is honoured in the northern
      chapel within the church.
      Since
      Saint Filoumenos' death and martyrdom and from signs of God testified by people,
      he was already established as a martyred saint in the conscience of many honourable
      members of the church. Today, after the completion of thirty years since the
      day of his martyrdom, based on the Synodic decision of Our Holy and Sacred
      Synod, we officially place in the Synaxarion, the celebration of this new
      hieromartyr on this day of his martyrdom, 16th/29th of
      November each year, to the benefit of the souls and to the glory of Our Holy
      Triune God.
      Today
      we announce this sacred ecclesiastical event to the congregation of the Church
      of Zion, and the sister Orthodox Churches so that from now onwards, they
      eternally celebrate the memory of the new hieromartyr Filoumenos with the
      intercessions of whom we may find grace and mercy so that with one voice and
      one heart we offer glory and praise to the glorified Holy Triune, our God who
      is glorified in His Saints.
      Holy City of Jerusalem, September 11th 2009.
      THEOPHILOS III
      Patriarch of Jerusalem
      Metropolitan
      of Caesarea Vasilios
      Metropolitan
      of Ptolemais Palladios
      Metropolitan
      of Capitolias Issychios
      Metropolitan
      of Eleftheroupolis Christodoulos, Elder Dragouman
      Metropolitan
      of Philadelphia
      Venedictos
      Metropolitan
      of Avila
      Dorotheos
      Archbishop
      of Mt. Tabor Methodios
      Archimandrite
      Kelladion, Elder Kamarasis
      Archimandrite
      Ioustinos
      Archimandrite
      Theodoritos
      Archimandrite Hilarion
      Archimandrite
      Timotheos
      Archimandrite
      Evdokimos
      Archimandrite
      Demetrios, Secretary of the Holy and Sacred Synod
      Archimandrite
      Galaktion
      Archbishop
      of Constantina Aristarchos, Elder Chief Secretary