Constantinople to Review UAOC's Request

  • emrys@globe.net.nz
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
      Constantinople to Review UAOC's Request to Come Under the Jurisdiction of
      the Ecumenical Patriarchate

      Tuesday, 01 September 2009 14:09

      01.09.2009, [21:46] // UAOC // risu.org.ua

      CONSTANTINOPLE - The letter to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew from the
      Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (UAOC) will be reviewed at the
      session of the Holy Synod in Constantinople on September 28, 2009.
      UNIAN-Religion reported that General Secretary of the Holy Synod of the
      Ecumenical Patriarchate Archimandrite Elpidophoros Lambriniadis informed the
      publication "Kommersant-Ukraina" of this.

      After the session of the Holy Synod, a delegation of the Ecumenical
      Patriarchate will come to Ukraine for further review. "No decision will be
      made fast or spontaneously. We are planning the visit of the Patriarchate's
      delegation to Ukraine for the beginning of October. During the visit there
      will be a meeting between representatives of the Holy Synod and Metropolitan
      Mefodiy (head of the UAOC), where the given question will be discussed,
      after which we will make a definitive decision," said the archimandrite.

      The Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate (UOC-MP) skeptically
      regards the perspective of the UAOC coming under the jurisdiction of the
      Ecumenical Patriarchate. "The UAOC has practically no chances - during
      Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Kyiv he clearly made it understood that he
      will only converse with a canonical Church, thus with us," the press
      secretary of the head of t he UOC-MP proto-hierarch Heorhij Kovalenko is
      quoted by "Kommersant."

      The Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patriarchate (UOC-KP) responds the same
      way to the letter of Metropolitan Mefodiy. "We really doubt that Patriarch
      Bartholomew will accept the UAOC under his omophorion, the more so since it
      is a small Orthodox jurisdiction," said the head of the
      informational-publication department of the UOC-KP Bishop Yevstratiy
      (Zorya). He believes that the UAOC's appeal to Constantinople was influenced
      by the head of the Russian Orthodox Church's visit to Ukraine. "After Kirill's
      visit to Ukraine, the UAOC understood that Moscow will not support the
      creation of a national church in Ukraine, so they again focused their
      attention on Constantinople," feels Bishop Yevstratij.

      As RISU reported, on August 26, 2009, the Hierarchal Synod of the UAOC sent
      an appeal to the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew with a request to accept
      the UAOC into the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate with rights of
      autonomy.

      . http://religions.unian.net/rus/detail/1592

    • emrys@globe.net.nz
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
        The request from the UAOC:
        http://www.uaoc.info/ua/news/news_/?pid=252

        His All Holiness
        Bartholomew
        Archbishop of Constantinople and New Rome
        Ecumenical Patriarch

        Your All Holiness!

        With filial love and honor, we, bishops of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church, turn to your All Holiness with synodal request to extend your labors with healing the church schism in Ukraine.

        Realizing the value for the Great Church of Constantinople and the whole of Orthodoxy in general of the preparation of the Great and Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church, we raise our own prayers that this Synod would be convened as soon as possible, and its actions helped to update and consolidate the Orthodox Church. However, we ask your All Holiness, as the good shepherd, do not miss the pastoral care and problems of the multimillion Ukrainian people, who today suffer from a split in their church.

        The tragic division of the Ukrainian Church in church consciousness was due to the crisis that broke from the ideal of Christian universality. Heading towards the Ecumenical Orthodox, our Church has condemned ethnic phyletism's [as a] unified ideology and declared the abandonment of ethnic phyletism as a means of church building (Statement of the Bishops' UAOC on August 15, 2006). However, as witnesses and members of religious processes, with sadness we note that without the active participation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate the new universal dimension of Ukrainian Orthodoxy is not completely solved.

        Unification of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine can not be formally or mechanically. Achieving unity should be the result of the process of the recovery of consciousness and church life, releasing them from external secular motivations. We strive to gain a complete ecclesiology, aspire to a united Christian Church being the discovery of freedom and universality. With this in mind, we can not accept as the basis of association/(re)union the proposed idea of restoring us to the Russian Orthodox civilization or other secular values.

        Your All Holiness! Today, when our church is suffering from separation, we call on you to not only pray for healing the split in Ukraine, but also to provide us with medicines that can heal wounds on the body of the Ukrainian Church.

        We call on the Ecumenical Patriarchate to develop and implement a coherent theological church program, which aims to instill in Ukraine a catholic church consciousness. In particular, in our opinion, to improve the consciousness of the church would be extremely important:

        a.. assigning the leading theologians of the Ecumenical Patriarchate to resolving the Ukrainian church problem;
        b.. the theologians of the Ecumenical Patriarchate collaborating with leading humanitarian and theological schools in Ukraine;
        c.. implementation of a publishing program, which would be intended to acquaint the Ukrainian Orthodox Christians with the achievements of theological thought of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, in particular in the field of ecclesiology, canon law and the history of the Ecumenical Patriarchate;
        d.. participation of representatives of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in scientific activities in Ukraine closer and active than today, involving senior representative orthodox scholars of Ukraine in scientific and other events held on the initiative or with the assistance of the Ecumenical Patriarchate;
        e.. opening in Kiev of a Metochion (подвір’я) or Information and Cultural Center of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

        On the other hand, the episcopate of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church once again turns to the countenance of the Mother Church, to escape from the artificial canonical isolation, and recovery fellow participation with the World Wide [or Ecumenical/Universal] Orthodox, our church is ready and wants to join the Ecumenical Patriarchate, with the rights of autonomy. While gaining autocephaly was and remains the strategic goal of Ukrainian autocephalous movement, to overcome the division we are ready to go for significant concessions, sacrificing their own interests for the greater good of the Church.

        Given this, the episcopate of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church appeals to your All Holiness to request to intensify dialogue and to consider possible compromise solutions to the Ukrainian church matters.

        With filial love we also ask your All Holiness to pray for our Church, its hierarchy and the God beloved Ukraine, with its pious people

        In filial love and obedience

        + Methodius
        Metropolitan of Kiev and Ukraine
        Of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

        + ANDREI
        Metropolitan of Galicia
        Locum tenens, Ivano-Frankivsk Diocese

        + ROMAN
        Metropolitan Vinnitsa and Bratslava

        + JOHN
        Archbishop of Uman

        + PETER
        Archbishop on Krefalda and Bona

        + Makarov
        Archbishop of Lviv
        Locum tenens Rivne, Volyn and Taurian Diocese

        + Theodosius
        Archbishop of Drogobych and Sambir

        + Hilarion
        Bishop of Cherkassy Kirovograd

        + Michael
        Fastovsky Bishop, Diocesan Vicar of Kyiv,

        + VLADIMIR
        Bishop of Zhytomyr and Polessky