Interior Minister Calls on Western Ukrainians to be Tolerant Toward MP's Visit

  • petro_melnyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2009
      Interior Minister Calls on Western Ukrainians to be Tolerant Toward Patriarch Kirill's Visit
      31.07.2009, [15:20] // Foreign relations //
      KYIV—On July 30, 2009, Interfax reported that the Ukrainian Interior Minister Yuriy Lutsenko has called on the residents of the western part of Ukraine to display tolerance toward Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia's visit to Ukraine.
      "I would like to address the people living in western Ukraine and politicians. I would like to ask the people in western Ukraine to display high moral culture to spite our adversaries," he said at a news briefing in Kyiv on Thursday.

      Tolerance should be displayed despite "obvious politicization of this visit," which, he said, is visible, in particular, on the part of the Party of Regions that has "actually privatized this visit."

      "We need to demonstrate that we are above the image abroad portraying aggression of national-patriotic forces in Ukraine. Politics is politics, but religion is religion," Lutsenko said.

      As for Patriarch Kirill's visit to Ukraine, Lutsenko said it is proceeding "in quite a calm atmosphere from the law enforcement point of view."

      "Fortunately, and also thanks to a large number of law enforcers, who were engaged in maintaining order during his visit to Kyiv, and thanks to the people's high moral culture, the visit to Kyiv was fine," he said.

      The patriarch's visit to Donetsk is also proceeding "without problems," he added.
      http://www.risu.org.ua/eng/news