MESSAGE TO THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF THE MIDDLE EAST COUNCIL OF CHURCHES

  • Christos
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2009
      http://www.jerusalem-patriarchate.info/en/news.php

      Message to the Executive Committee of
      the Middle East Council of Churches

      from
      His Beatitude Theophilos III
      Patriarch of Jerusalem

      Mr.Guirguis Saleh
      Secretary General of MECC,
      My Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

      We send you our greetings in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ from
      the Holy City of Jerusalem. We have been kept up to date with the work of the Middle
      East Council of Churches, and we are pleased that our delegate, Archbishop of
      Abela Mr. Dorotheos, is able to represent us at this meeting of the Executive
      Committee.

      We remain committed to the stated purposes and goals of the mission
      of the Middle East Council of Churches. The Patriarchate of Jerusalem is always
      ready to work in collaboration with all the people of good will for the
      well-being of our region, and we wish especially to acknowledge the efforts of
      our fellow Christians from other Churches and Christian communities in this
      regard. Such collaboration represents for us that respectful co-existence of
      people of different religious, cultural and ethnic identities that we believe
      is essential for the integrity of the life of the Middle
      East.

      However, our concern about the present state of affairs in the
      Middle East Council of Churches continues. We wish respectfully to remind the
      Executive Committee of the resolutions of the 9thh General Assembly of the MECC
      in Paphos, Cyprus, which was held from 27 to 30 November 2007. It was at this
      meeting that the need for re-structuring the organization was acknowledged.

      Subsequently, the MECC has admitted a serious financial crisis, a
      crisis that is being felt by many organizations around the world. At later
      meetings of the Executive Committee in Beirut
      and Kykkos, although the deepening crisis was known, no action was taken.

      We note with sadness a distinct lack of progress in setting the MECC
      on the firm footing that was articulated in Paphos. Instead, the financial
      crisis has deepened.

      We acknowledge with gratitude the hard work of many in the MECC to
      ensure that the Council is faithful to its goals and mission, and we understand
      the many challenges that faces the Council in its work. It is all the more
      important in our view that the Council remains absolutely committed to its
      vision and mission.

      Therefore with great reluctance we are forced to admit that we lack
      confidence in the current Secretariat Staff and the SCAF of the MECC, and it
      seems to us that the following two courses of action are the only courses of
      action now open to the MECC in order to move forward:

      1. Given the deepening crisis and the clear lack of progress in re-structuring the organization, and given the inability of the present Secretariat Staff and SCAF both to acknowledge this publicly and to propose effective solutions, it would seem that the honorable next course of action would be for the current Secretariat and SCAF Staff to submit their resignations, and for the Council to elect and appoint a new body of Secretariat Staff and SCAF with the clear mandate to execute a strategic plan that will accomplish the goals set at the 9th general assembly in 2007 as well as ensure the financial solvency of MECC and
      2. that the newly elected and appointed secretariat Staff and SCAF will provide to member Churches an open strategic plan to set the MECC on its proper course. With an expectation of regular reports and accountability to member Churches.

      We realize that these may be difficult recommendations for some to hear, but we articulate them out of deep concern for the MECC itself. If we are not ready and prepared to proceed along these lines with firm clear and focused action then there is no likelihood that the MECC can accomplish the good work that lies at the heart of its urgent mission to the peoples of our region who so desperately need the leadership of the Churches in establishing peace, reconciliation and a proper co-existence of all.

      We pray for God's blessing upon your work during this meeting, and we urge you to take this necessary action for the future of the MECC.

      Theophilos III
      Patriarch of Jerusalem
      President for the Eastern Orthodox Churches of MECC.

      Attached forms & photos