Patriarch Kirill hopes to improve relations with the Constantinople Patriarch during his visit

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2009

      01 July 2009, 18:10
      Patriarch Kirill hopes to improve relations with
      the Constantinople Patriarch during his visit to Turkey

      Moscow, July 1, Interfax – The Russian Orthodox
      Church says the main objective of Patriarch
      Kirill of Moscow and All Russia’s visit to Turkey
      is restoring relations with the Constantinople
      Patriarchate and discussing moot points.

      “His Holiness Patriarch Kirill wants this visit
      to open a new page in relations with the
      Constantinople Patriarchate. We need to give up
      confrontation and conflicts and create a system
      of mutual trust as the local Orthodox Churches
      make one family,” head of the Department for
      External Church Relations Archbishop Hilarion of
      Volokolamsk has told journalists on Wednesday
      commenting on Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with
      Turkish Ambassador in Russia Halil Akinci.

      According to Archbishop Hilarion, future
      relations of the two Churches should exclude a
      situation similar to the one developed in Estonia
      in 1996. The Archbishop noted, then
      “Constantinople unilaterally proclaimed its
      jurisdiction and it resulted in a conflict
      situation, which still remains unsettled.”

      “We hope that Patriarchs of the two great
      Churches in fraternal communication will find the
      way to agree over the format of relations, format
      that will exclude such misunderstanding and be
      based on total mutual trust and fraternal love,” Archbishop Hilarion said.

      He also reminded that Patriarch Kirill had more
      than once pointed out that “victory” in the
      inter-Orthodox dialogue is impossible for only
      one of its participants. According to the
      Archbishop, such a dialogue should be aimed at
      victory, at achieving the result acceptable for all.

      “Patriarch Kirill will go to Constantinople with
      the warmest feelings and kind intentions. We hope
      this visit will also help the Constantinople
      Patriarch settle his inner problems and we expect
      this visit to be a success,” the Russian Church official said.

      Patriarch Kirill plans to visit Turkey on July 4-6, 2009.