Patriarch Abune Paulos denies Italian reports that he will reveal the Ark to the world

  • Philosoph Uhlman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      ADDIS ABABA, June 30 (Reuters) – The head of Ethiopia’s
      Orthodox Church on Tuesday denied reports that he is about to
      unveil to the world the Ark of the Covenant that Moses is said
      to have stored the Ten Commandments tablets in.
      Patriarch Abune Paulos said Italian media had incorrectly
      reported that he would place the Ark in a museum in the
      country’s north.

      Legend has it that the box-shaped Ark has been hidden from
      sight in Ethiopia since 642 BC.
      “I am deeply disappointed that the Italian media misquoted
      me and disseminated false information about me unveiling the Ark
      of the Covenant to the world,” he said at a news conference.
      “It is a fabrication, disinformation.”

      Some Ethiopians believe that Prince Menelik I — who is said
      to be the result of a union between Israel’s King Solomon and
      the Ethiopia Queen of Sheba — took the Ark from Jerusalem to
      Ethiopia while he was in power around 950 BC.

      “I would like to confirm once again that the Ark of the
      Covenant and the sacred tablets containing the Ten Commandments
      that God delivered to Moses are in Ethiopia,” Abune added.
      Replicas of the Ark are in more than 50,000 Orthodox
      churches in the Horn of Africa country, the church says.
      The Ethiopian Orthodox Church says it keeps the Ark in a
      holy shrine in the north of the country. Only a small number of
      priests can even go near the room where it is said to be kept.
      TBN host claims Israel commandos took the Ark.