Greek Orthodox members stay close to roots

  • frjohnbrian@priest.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2009
      http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/20090415/FON0101/90414147/1289
      <http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/20090415/FON0101/90414147/1289&located=R
      SS> &located=RSS

      April 15, 2009

      Greek Orthodox members stay close to roots

      By Sharon Roznik
      The Reporter

      Peggy Kallas and Despina (Deddie) Makaris grew up in what was once known as
      the Greek section of Fond du Lac.

      On Orthodox Easter, which falls a week after the Christian celebration,
      anyone in the vicinity of Follett, Johnson, Brooke and Rees streets could
      smell lamb roasting outdoors and hear the deep belly laughs Greek fathers
      and grandfathers are known for.

      The heart of the neighborhood was Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, where
      generations of families have sat before its gilded altar and ornate saints
      to witness baptisms, marriages, holidays and funerals.

      "I've attended the same church for 76 years, all my life," Kallas said. "We
      used to walk to church, but back then we walked everywhere."

      For a few families, the tiny church on North Macy Street remains a center of
      activity. Current membership is approximately 125, with about 50 regular
      churchgoers who keep things going.

      "I love everything about it. I love the whole service and I like it better
      when it is said in Greek," Makaris said.

      The neighborhood church draws people together in such a way the congregation
      seems like one big family.

      "If I don't go to church, I just don't feel right. After church, I feel so
      enthused about the upcoming week," Makaris explained.

      These days people get so busy with their own lives, they sometimes don't pay
      attention to religion anymore, Kallas shared.

      "It's difficult for me to accept that," she said.

      Religion keeps families together, as does upholding customs and traditions,
      Kallas assured.

      "I guess I would say I am devout. I accept all religions and everybody, but
      for me, it gives me strength," she said.