Orthodox Boy Scout Trek to Philmont

  • John P
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2009
      Your help in getting the word out on this would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you. John P. Prekeges

      *Dear Brother in Christ:*

      *As you may know, our parishes in the Seattle area jointly sponsor an*

      *Orthodox Boy Scout troop. The troop is completely pan-Orthodox, currently*

      *including boys who are Greek, OCA and Antiochian. Next summer the troop*

      *will be attending the Boy Scout�s national high adventure camp, Philmont*

      *Scout Ranch in New Mexico. It is very difficult for a troop to be chosen*

      *to attend Philmont and they were very lucky to be selected.*

      *As it happens our Orthodox troop has some extra slots open for Orthodox*

      *boys or leaders who may be in other Scout troops and would like to join*

      *them. We would appreciate it if you could include this in your bulletin*

      *and mention it personally to any boys or adults in your parish who are*

      *active in Scouts.*

      *The troop will be attending Philmont Scout Ranch July 6-18, 2009, leaving*

      *on Saturday, July 4th and returning to Seattle the evening of Sunday, July*

      *19th. They will attend Liturgy on both Sundays while traveling, in*

      *Albuquerque. They are planning on having Father Dean*

      *Kouldukis, who will be going with them, perform liturgy on the trail on*

      *the Sunday they will be hiking.*

      *As of now, there are 9 boys and 5 adults signed up. There is still room*

      *for 1-3 more adults and/or 7-9 more boys. To participate a boy must be 14*

      *by January 1, 2009 or 13 and have completed the eighth grade. The cost for*

      *Philmont is $595. Travel and incidentals are extra. The troop is working*

      *on finding the best and cheapest travel rates they can.*

      *Our church troop would gladly welcome Orthodox Scouts or adults to join*

      *them in this once-in-a-lifetime adventure. For more information or to sign*

      *up, contact John Prekeges at 425-829-7407, or johnppjr@....*

      *In Christ,*

      *Father Michael Johnson*

      --
      "Live today, forget the cares of the past" Epicurus