Vatican - Meetings with heads of Greek, Czech Orthodox Churches

  • Janecek
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2009
      The statement in the article way down below is totally false: ”Eastern
      Orthodoxy in the former Czechoslovakia dates only to the 1920s…”

      We Moravians in and from what is the present day Czech Republic and
      Slovakia were enlighten with the Holy Gospel by Saints Cyril and Methodius
      of Thessalonica in about 865. Saint Photius, the Great, Patriarch of
      Constantinople sent his nephews to Great Moravia - Velká Morava, which is
      the present day Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Southern Poland.. We were the
      first Slavic people to receive Christianity even before Russia, the Ukraine,
      Bulgaria, and Serbia.

      We Moravians were the first people to have church services (Divine Liturgy,
      Mass) and the Holy Gospels (the Bible) in our own language - Slavonic.
      Saints Cyril and Methodius were extremely controversial because they were
      the first to use Slavonic - a language other than Latin, Greek or Syriac in
      Church Services and the Bible. They developed a special alphabet called
      Glagolitic for the Slavonic language of our people. Later alphabets for
      Slavonic and Slavic languages were developed and called Cyrillic after the
      above St. Cyril.

      St. Cyril died in Rome in 869 and was buried in the Church of San Clemente.
      St. Methodius returned as the archbishop in Great Moravia where he died in
      885. After the death of St. Methodius in 885, Bishop Wiching, a Latin, took
      over, literally defrocked all the Slavonic priests and monks and sent them
      down to the river naked. Some of the Slavonic priests and monks were sold
      into slavery. Latin clergy then took over most of the area.

      These Slavonic priests and monks, who were disciples of Saints Cyril and
      Methodius and trained by them, then went on to bring the true faith to
      Bulgaria, Serbia, Ukraine and Russia. However, we Czechs and Moravians were
      the first to receive the Orthodox faith from Constantinople, where the
      Patriarch of Constantinople (Istanbul) is today. He is the successor of St.
      Photius, the Great, who was the uncle of Saints Cyril and Methodius and who
      sent his nephews to Great Moravia – the present day Czech Republic and
      Moravia.

      However, the people in Carpathian Mountain preserved the Orthodox faith,
      given them by Saints Cyril and Methodius for several centuries because they
      were isolated in the mountains from the powers of that day. They are known
      as the Carpatho-Rus or Ruthenians.

      As political power spread East from the West the Carpatho-Rus were forced to
      become “Uniates”, that is, “Eastern Rite” Roman Catholics at councils at
      Brest in 1596 and Uzhhorod – Užhorod in 1646.

      There was a group of Carpatho-Rus who were “Uniats” who immigrated to
      America in the late 1800s. St. Alexis Toth, a priest in Minneapolis,
      Minnesota, led his parish back to the Orthodox Church in 1891. He then
      helped many other Carpatho-Rus in America return to the Orthodox Church.

      In 1918 Czechoslovakia became an independent county from Austria-Hungry. A
      number of priests and people left the Roman Catholic Church and joined the
      Orthodox Church so they could return to the tradition of Saints Cyril and
      Methodius. In 1921 St. Goradz (Matthias Pavlik) was made a bishop in
      Czechoslovakia. In 1942 the Nazis executed St. Goradz and he was glorified
      a saint as a martyr.

      The Holy Brothers, Saints Cyril and Methodius are venerated in the Eastern
      Orthodox Church with the title of "Equals to the Apostles." In 1880, Pope
      Leo XIII introduced their feast into the calendar of the Roman Catholic
      Church. In
      1980, Pope John Paul II declared them Co-patrons of Europe, together with
      Saint Benedict of Nursia. Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI have been
      working for the reconciliation of the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox
      Church.

      In America and in Texas many communities where Czechs, Moravians, and
      Slovaks settled, the Roman Catholic Churches are named after Saints Cyril
      and Methodius. For example there are churches in Corpus Christi and Shiner,
      Texas named for Saints Cyril and Methodius. My grandparents named one of my
      uncles Cyril Method. KJT lodges are also so named.

      Consequently, the two Greek brother, Saints Cyril and Methodius of
      Thessalonica were sent by the Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople to Czech
      Republic and Slovakia, which were then Great Moravia, in about 865. St.
      Methodius remained there as archbishop until his death in 885. The Orthodox
      Church was in the Czech Republic and Slovakia 950 years before 1920. The
      Czechs, Moravians, and Slovaks have named Roman Catholic Churches after
      Saints Cyril and Methodius and thus give witness to these saints, who
      brought the Orthodox faith to our people in their own language – Slavonic,
      translating the Divine Liturgy (Mass) and Holy Bible. They did not use
      Latin or Greek but the language of our people in that place over 1100 years
      ago.

      The Protestant churches did not even exist at this time. However, the
      Protestants did follow the example of Saints Cyril and Methodius, and used
      the language of the people in church services and the Holy Bible.

      In the love and peace of Christ,

      Father Frederick J. Janecek

      A Texas Czech Moravian OCA Orthodox Priest

      -------------------

      http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=2131

      Meetings with heads of Greek, Czech Orthodox Churches
      February 27, 2009

      Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for
      Promoting Christian Unity, offered an uncharacteristically
      pessimistic assessment of ecumenical dialogue with the Greek Orthodox
      Church following a meeting with its new leader, Archbishop Ieronymos
      II. "There is still a strong resistance toward an ecumenical growing
      closer, and because of that our steps must be prudent," Cardinal
      Kasper told Vatican Radio. "I did not have very high expectations: It
      would not be possible to resolve every problem in just one day, but
      it was important to establish personal contact." Nonetheless,
      Cardinal Kasper called Archbishop Ieronymos "a truly humble and
      modest man. Our meeting has certainly been a beautiful one, and also
      those with his collaborators."

      Metropolitan Krystof (Christopher), head of the Orthodox Church in
      the Czech and Slovak Republics, began a three-day visit to the
      Vatican yesterday that will culminate in an audience with Pope
      Benedict tomorrow. Eastern Orthodoxy in the former Czechoslovakia
      dates only to the 1920s, when groups of Roman and Eastern Catholics
      left the Catholic Church. The history of relations between the
      Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church there has been a tortured one
      that includes the forced conversion of Eastern Catholics to Orthodoxy
      under Communist rule.

      [Underline added.]

      Rev. Father Frederick J. JaneCek
      MA, MSW, ACSW, BCD, DCSW, LCSW, LMFT
      ORTHODOX CHURCH IN AMERICA (OCA)

      Website: http:// www.oca.org
      5929 Mayhill Drive
      Madison, WI 53711-4121
      Telephone: (608) 273-2957
      Cell phone: (608) 628-6910
      Email: janecekwi@...

      Attached to:

      SS. Cyril & Methodius Orthodox Church

      Milwaukee, WI

      Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad
      judgment.