priest urges to restore the church entitled one of the most known Moscow streets
04 March 2009, 16:55
The priest urges to restore the church entitled
one of the most known Moscow streets
Moscow, March 4, Interfax The Moscow
Patriarchate considers its important to restore
the church of Joachim and Hanna, which has
entitled the Moscow central street Yakimanka.
"How its possible to imagine Yakimanka without a
church of Joachim and Hanna! Naturally, its
desirable to restore historical memory and
historical justice," Archpriest Nikolay
Krechetov, head of the Moskvoretsky deanery, told Interfax-Religion.
According to the priest, "believers show for a
long time already the initiative in this
question", and, as he knows, "the Yakimankas
area justice also makes efforts in this question."
As a variant, Fr. Nikolay said the church could
be restored on a place where a monument to the
Bulgarian communist Georgy Dimitrov is situated
today." Its the business of the Moscow
government of course, but may be itll be better
to a monument to be situated in park on the
Crimean quay where a lot of sculptures are
gathered, and here it just will be possible to
put a church, the place would suffice, though
its not absolutely coincide with a primary place
of the church," the interlocutor of agency added.
The Joachim and Hanna church named for parents of
the Gods Mother has been constructed in the end
of 17th century and situated on a place of
crossing of Malaya Yakimanka street and modern
Yakimansky lane. The church has been closed in
December 1939 and blown up in 1969.
There is a waste on this place today. Only one
Orthodox church - John the Warrior - has remained
of four churches situated on Yakimanka street before the revolution.