Damascus Orders Antiochian Clergy to stop commemorating their Bishops

  • emrys@globe.net.nz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 3:22 PM
      http://www.antiochian.org/node/18883

      Archpastoral Directive + March 3, 2009

      Metropolitan PHILIP writes:

      To all clergy of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North
      America:

      We greet you in the spirit of this Great Lent.

      Some of our clergy have inquired about hierarchical commemorations in the
      divine services. In order to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding, we
      would like to direct your attention to the following:

      On February 24th, 2009 the Holy Synod of Antioch amended Chapter VI of the
      by-laws of the Patriarchate, which now reads:

      Article 76
      The Metropolitan is the point of reference of all bishops in his Archdiocese
      and they are under his authority.

      Article 77
      All bishops within the Antiochian See are auxiliary bishops and are directly
      under their spiritual authority.

      Article 78
      The Metropolitan defines the responsibilities of the bishops and the place
      where they should serve. The bishop does not do anything contrary to the
      will of the Metropolitan.

      Therefore, in accordance with the decision of the Holy Synod of Antioch, the
      following is the proper order for the commemoration of hierarchs in the
      divine services:

      The clergy should commemorate the Metropolitan in all divine services.

      The clergy should commemorate the auxiliary bishop when he is present at the
      divine service.

      It is expected that all clergy will strictly adhere to this directive. May
      the journey to the Empty Tomb bring you all the joy of the Glorious
      Resurrection.

      Your father in Christ,

      (Signature of Metropolitan Philip)