Bartholomew I: Kirill will foster Orthodox unity

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4 7:26 PM
      http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=18034&t=Bartholomew+I%3AKirill+will+foster+Orthodox+unity

      Bartholomew I: Kirill will foster Orthodox unity

      The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople now expects an
      acceleration in the common journey toward the long-awaited grand
      pan-Orthodox synod.

      Wednesday, February 04, 2009
      By Asianews

      On the occasion of the installation of Kirill as the new patriarch of
      Moscow, ecumenical patriarch Bartholomew I has sent him a message
      focused on the common journey of the Orthodox Churches, in facing the
      challenges of today's world.

      The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople has rejoiced over the
      election of Kirill, says the message read today by the envoy from
      Bartholomew I, and participates with great joy in the celebrations
      for his installation. The vision of the Mother Church for the common
      journey, continues the message, is accompanied by good hope and good
      will, because an active and creative man has been elected at this
      historical juncture. A man of proven ecclesial merit, characterized
      by wisdom and by his contribution to Christian unity.

      The see of Constantinople has many expectations, focused above all on
      unity, harmony, and the common journey toward the long-awaited
      convocation of the grand pan-Orthodox synod, preparations for which
      must be accelerated for the purpose of preserving the credibility of
      the Orthodox Church. The collaboration among the Orthodox must be
      promoted also because this is useful both for dialogue with the other
      Christian confessions, and for a peaceful solution of disagreements
      and other issues that have arisen over time. But also because it is
      only in this way that a response can be made to the socioeconomic
      problems afflicting the contemporary world, and also the questions of
      bioethics. In this regard, according to information obtained by
      AsiaNews, Constantinople intends to open an international observatory
      at the orphanage building in Buyukada.

      So it is both right and helpful, the message continues, to recognize
      and remember the lessons of history, and defend its truths. This is
      especially true today, in that we are passing through a rather
      difficult period. A period in which an attempt is being made to
      distort history, and wipe out values. At a time in which one is
      witnessing a futile race for temporal power, it is right to remember
      the contribution that the Church has made to forming human society in
      its journey toward God, and to enhance the fraternal and indivisible
      bond among the Churches.

      Finally, it has not gone unnoticed that Kirill's installation
      ceremony was characterized by two symbolic actions: the exclamation
      of the Greek word Axios (Worthy), according to the ancient Byzantine
      ritual, and the conferral of the pastoral staff given in the 14th
      century by ecumenical patriarch Athanasios to the bishop of Moscow,
      Peter. Moscow was raised to the status of patriarchate in 1589 by
      ecumenical patriarch Jeremias, who has gone down in history in part
      because he was against the schism between the Lutherans and Rome. One
      of his memorable statements was: "No more schisms among Christians."