Author and Orthodox Christian leader to hold seminar

  • Al Green
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009
      Web Posted: 01/30/2009 3:56 CST

      Author and Orthodox Christian leader to hold seminar

      By Elaine Ayo - Express-News

      Father Jon Braun, author and Pastor Emeritus of St. Anthony
      Antiochian Orthodox Church in San Diego, will lead a two-day retreat
      at St. Sophia's Greek Orthodox Church at 2504 N. St. Mary's St.

      "It's all aimed ultimately at how people can just do better in their
      daily lives with relation to how people get along with God," Braun
      said.

      The first session is Friday at 7 p.m. Other sessions are Saturday at
      10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Braun will also lead parish services at 10 a.m.
      Sunday.

      A native of California and the son of a Presbyterian minister, Braun
      was on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ for eight years during
      the 1960s, helping form more than a dozen campus ministries in the
      Southeast and later becoming the organization's National Field
      Coordinator.

      In 1973, Braun and six other former Campus Crusade staffers began to
      research the early history of the church.

      "We knew the Bible really well, but said we're going to go find out
      what happened after the ink dried," he said.

      Their studies led them to form their own congregations and
      ultimately, to an interest in the Orthodox faith. In 1987, they and
      roughly 2,000 of their congregants joined the Antiochian Orthodox
      Christian Archdiocese of North America.

      "I retired a year ago, but the congregation I started in San Diego
      started with a bunch of old people ... and now, oh my goodness, this
      place is infested with children and young couples," Braun
      said. "Again, you'll hear over and over again that they like the idea
      of roots, that things never change."

      Find this article at:
      http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Author_and_Orthodox_Christ
      ian_leader_to_hold_seminar.html