SPC bishop denies he's "soft on Kosovo"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2009
      http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2009&mm=01&dd=07&nav_id=56258

      SPC bishop denies he's "soft on Kosovo"

      7 January 2009 | 12:55 | Source: Tanjug, Nezavisne novine
      BANJA LUKA -- Bishop of Zahumlje and Hercegovina Grigorije says his
      position on the issue of Kosovo is "not soft".

      The Serbian Orthodox Church (SPC) dignitary based in the Republic of
      Srpska (RS) also said that "a normal Serb cannot have a soft stance
      on that question".

      "I believe that matters related to Kosovo are in no way concluded and
      sealed once and for all. On the contrary, I think a great battle is
      ahead of us and I am aware how dangerous fatalism is, just as is easy
      optimism, based on self-delusion," he told Banja Luka's Nezavisne Novine.

      The bishop also said that the Church "to which we serve within our
      strength, building into it ourselves and our lives, is a living and
      open space for us, an event of freedom, life in love, a place of
      testimony of all we believe in, to which we testify and hope for".

      "Speaking evangelically, it [the Church] is a candlestick alight in
      the darkness, that the darkness cannot engulf, and this means that,
      although not of this world, it still lives and exists in this world,
      and precisely for its sake."

      "Closing one's eyes to the facts," Bishop Grigorije continued, "is
      always the greatest problem".

      "Should we keep silent out of fear of saying the wrong thing, should
      we remain passive simply out of fear of making the wrong step, then
      we will never become true servants of the Church."

      The bishop's name was recently mentioned in the media when he sent an
      letter to the top of the SPC, describing the current state of affairs
      in the Church as "a state of emergency".