Antiochian Village unveils museum

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2004
      2004.06.03 Valley Independent:

      Antiochian Village unveils museum

      By Dwayne Pickels and Emily Beaver
      TRIBUNE-REVIEW
      Friday, June 4, 2004

      A museum dedicated to the lavish art, culture and Middle Eastern ancestry
      of the Antiochian Orthodox Church will be the centerpiece of a new wing at
      Antiochian Village Christian Conference Center.

      With the $2.1 million, 16,600-square-foot addition, "we have spent a
      minimum of $20 million to develop this place," said Metropolitan Philip
      Saliba, primate of the North American Antiochian Orthodox Christian
      Archdiocese.

      "It was built not only for Antiochian people or people from the Middle
      East," Philip said Thursday at a sneak peek of the facility in Fairfield
      Township. "This place belongs to everybody, and we welcome everybody."
      The new wing includes a 143-seat auditorium, storage vault and a
      rare-book room for the center's 21,000-volume theological library.
      The Antiochian Heritage Museum, set to open June 17, occupies the lion's
      share of the new wing. It was designed to display and house the center's
      collection of Orthodox artifacts, relics and icons, which are sacred images.

      The opening exhibition, "Iconography, Religious Relics, Cultural
      Artifacts," will showcase a broad selection of items reflecting the
      Antiochian heritage of the past seven centuries.

      "Not many people know much of this heritage," Philip said. "Hence the
      importance of this museum."

      Exhibits come from the center's 740-piece permanent collection,
      previously stored in a small room in the center's basement.

      They will be changed twice a year, said Denise O'Neal, director of
      marketing and program development for the center, which has some 9,000
      visitors annually.

      "You will see in the future many of our icons here," said Philip, who
      donated many of the religious artifacts.

      "I visited Russia twice and I was presented with many icons, and I
      donated them to this museum," he said. "I want people to see them and share
      the artistic beauty of these things."

      Father Michael Massouh, executive director of Antiochian Village, added
      that the museum "will provide an opportunity for us to share our heritage
      and our faith with visitors and residents within the region while
      maintaining the security and preservation of our special permanent collection."

      Greensburg architect Peter Cecconi, who designed the new wing, said the
      museum's layout provides "total security with minimal staff. It's similar,
      coincidentally, to designs of newer museums in New York and other places in
      the eastern United States."

      Engineer Gerry Mattern, of Ligonier, said much attention was paid to
      climate control for the sake of the fabric, wood and other materials used
      in the displays, as well as the paintings. Ultraviolet light and humidity
      are strictly regulated within the display area.

      "You're not keeping people comfortable," Mattern said. "You're keeping
      the exhibits happy."

      The museum also will feature temporary exhibitions. The first is "A Man
      from Lebanon: The Art of Kahlil Gibran."

      Madelon Sheedy, of Laughlintown, guest curator of the exhibit, said it
      comes courtesy of the Telfair Museum of Art in Savannah, Ga. The 40 pieces
      of original art will be on display from June 17 through Sept. 30.

      The museum will be open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursdays,
      Fridays and Saturdays, O'Neal said. Groups may arrange tours and visits on
      other days by appointment.

      The center has grown considerably since the archdiocese purchased the
      nearly 400-acre site near Bolivar for $350,000 and started Antiochian
      Village as a camp for children in 1979.

      It expanded into a renowned retreat and conference center for Orthodox
      Christians in 1985.

      "In the early 1970s, I started looking for a quiet, beautiful place to
      bring young people, and people in general," said Philip, a native of
      Lebanon, who has long been fond of western Pennsylvania.

      "I had seen so much restlessness and dissatisfaction in this country," he
      said. "I wanted a place where people could escape the cities and their
      problems, the drug culture, the sex culture, to discover God, discover
      nature and learn how to relate to each other in a peaceful, godly way."

      Dwayne Pickels and Emily Beaver can be reached at dpickels@... or
      (724) 539-3320.
      Images and text copyright © 2004 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.