Russia Gives Serbia Hope For Survival

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2004
      2004.06.04 RIAN:

       RUSSIA GIVES SERBIA HOPE FOR SURVIVAL

       MOSCOW, June 4 (RIA Novosti) - Serbia and Montenegro's ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary to Russia Milan Rocen believes that Russia gives his country hope for survival.

       Mr. Rocen announced this on Friday at a charity concert given in honor of 540 Serbian children from Kosovo and Metohija in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The children came to spend summer vacations in Russia on the initiative of the Andrew the First-Called foundation and the Center of Russia's National Glory.

       "Russia has always been a friendly country for Serbia and Montenegro. This is our symbol of faith and hope for survival," the ambassador said.

       He is convinced that Serbian children seeing warmth and support in Russia will never grow hard and follow the laws of hatred and intolerance.

       The ambassador also thanked everyone involved in this great charity action, including Russian society, the Kremlin, diplomats and the Russian Orthodox Church.

       Patriarch Alexis II of Moscow and All Russia blessed the Serbian children from Kosovo and Metohija in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.

       "This action takes children away from shocks, sufferings and troubles, which they are facing in their homeland," Alexis II said.

       "All Russian people sympathize with sufferings of Kosovo Serbs who lost their relatives and friends," he noted.

       "We share the grief and suffering of our Orthodox brothers and sisters," the patriarch said recollecting the tragic events in Kosovo and Metohija in March 2004. As a result of ethnic cleansings many Kosovo Serbs were murdered or exiled from their homes and their houses were destroyed.

       According to the patriarch, children from Kosovo and Metohija will rest in Russian summer camps and health centers together with Russian kids.

       In his words, the children will see Russia's development and revival of church life.

       Alexis II presented the young guests with icons of Our Lady of Vladimir and children's editions of the Bible. The children handed him a cross to remind him of them.
       Russian pop stars, the Moscow boys' choir, the Katyusha children's fashion and aesthetics theater, the bell ringers' ensemble and vocal groups took part in the concern entitled "The Wings of Hope."
      © 2001 RIA Novosti