Church And State To Cooperate In Solving Social Issues, Patriarch Says

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2004
      2004.06.04 RIAN:
      CHURCH AND STATE TO COOPERATE IN SOLVING SOCIAL ISSUES, PATRIARCH SAYS

      MOSCOW, June 4, (RIA Novosti) - The church and state should cooperate in
      solving social problems and in the moral and spiritual development of
      society, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexis II said during a meeting
      with State Duma Speaker Boris Gryzlov.

      "We should cooperate on all these issues and help each other," the head
      of the Russian Orthodox Church said.

      On Friday the Patriarch visited the State Duma and acquainted himself
      with the activity of the deputies.

      He thanked Mr. Gryzlov for the chance to visit the State Duma and to meet
      with its members.

      The patriarch noted that even though church and state are separated, the
      Russian Orthodox Church has not been separated from society.

      "We have a common history, a common Fatherland and a common future," the
      Patriarch said.

      Mr. Gryzlov agreed that under the law church and state are separate, but
      "they are not opposed to each other."

      Mr. Gryzlov noted that in the past few years, the relationship between
      the state and the Russian Orthodox Church has stabilized and contributes to
      the development of society's spirituality.

      The Patriarch blessed the parliamentarians for their legislative activity.

      At his meeting with Duma deputies on Friday, the Patriarch reminded them
      that the State Duma's building was consecrated in 1994 and that the
      consecration ritual cannot be done twice. Because of this, he said, he
      would like "to say a prayer so that the God will bless your work."
      "I would like to ask God to give blessing to you in your work," the
      Patriarch said to the parliamentarians.
      © 2001 RIA Novosti