Keeper of The Word shares a few

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2004
      2004.06.02 Daily Star:

      Daily Star - Beirut,Lebanon
      <http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=4&article_id=4736>
      Copyright (c) 2004 The Daily Star

      Wednesday, June 02, 2004
      Keeper of The Word shares a few

      Pope Zakka speaks on preserving the ancient language of Aramaic in a new,
      modern world

      By Yvonne Seng
      Special to The Daily Star

      CULTURAL HISTORY

      DAMASCUS: With the recent release of the film, "The Passion of The Christ,"
      Aramaic has likely been heard by more people in the past months than in
      it's entire history. Once the vernacular, it is now reduced to subtitles,
      spoken daily by a few. The man in front of me has a less brutal way of
      keeping the language alive.

      Patriarch Zakka sits in a gold encrusted chair in a fading cathedral in
      the Old Quarter of Damascus, but the power of this holy man is not
      contained in a chair. Or in his extensive title: His Holiness Moran Mor
      Ignatius Zakka I Iwas. The power of Pope Zakka rests in words.

      Pope Zakka is the Patriarch of Antioch and All the East and the Supreme
      Head of the Universal Syriac Orthodox Church, the planet's second oldest
      church, founded by the Apostles.

      As intriguing as the longevity of the institution, is its charge to keep
      alive Aramaic, the language in which Christ spoke. That is, the words in
      which The Word spoke.

      Words have consequence, but few take words as seriously as Pope Zakka.

      We all know one phrase in Aramaic: Abracadabra. Childish magical gibberish
      to the rest of us, loosely translated from Aramaic it has a vastly more
      serious meaning: "Create what I speak, or, May my words be brought to
      life." These are not men who dangle their participles.

      The church has come within a breath of extinction at least twice in its
      long history, and its survival is a miracle.

      In the 6th century, following doctrinal splits in Christology, the church
      was down to three tattered bishops hiding underground from persecution.

      Empress Theodora, daughter of a Syriac Christian priest and wife of the
      Byzantine Justinian, intervened, giving the green light for Jacob (after
      whom the church is often mistakenly named) to establish missions and
      bishops throughout the East, into Arabia and Ethiopia.

      In the early 21st century, the church and the language so intimately
      linked to it again struggles to survive. This time it has found an oddly
      modern ally; the internet.

      "The most important thing is that Aramaic was spoken by Our Lord Jesus
      Christ," the Patriarch says. "That's why we love it. It has been the
      liturgical language of our church from the beginning of Christianity and,
      of course, it was the ancient language of Syria before Islam. That's also
      why we love it. And we feel it is our duty and responsibility to keep it
      alive because we can't imagine that, one day, the language spoken by our
      Lord Jesus Christ will be forgotten. It's something we can't imagine."

      Monks and holy scholars have kept the flame alive for almost 2,000 years,
      but can they survive the tornado of Western culture?

      Syria has been isolated from much of the recent technology and
      communications boom and it is yet to be seen what will happen to these
      protected enclaves when exposed to global culture and technology.

      I asked the Patriarch whether he fears this will be the final demise of The
      Word of God?

      The internet, with its disrespect for man-made borders, is his ally.

      "Technology has always been with the human being," he states. " Those who
      believe the world was created by God, they will always be loving God
      through Our Lord Jesus Christ."

      With the help of technology - and the savvy leadership of the Patriarch -
      Aramaic is undergoing revival among members of the Syriac Orthodox Church
      connected across the globe and scholars attracted to its cerebral mission.

      "We have many scholars here and there," the Patriarch says with
      enthusiasm. "And they learn the language and they teach it and, of course,
      we are proud of those people, too. And grateful, too. Yes."

      Although he admits he doesn't fully understand the new technology, Pope
      Zakka visited Los Angeles to bless it.

      The Syriac-Orthodox Church of Antioch, formed in the time of the Apostles,
      has its own website, with libraries, chatrooms, youth groups and CDs of
      liturgical music for sale through Amazon.com.

      Pope Zakka has his own page where you can access copies of his encyclicals
      and writings. The Syriac-Aramaic language project has a worldwide center
      that the peripatetic Apostle Peter, first Bishop of the church, would
      definitely approve of.

      For the Patriarch also, globalization and technology are positive developments.

      When asked about the commercialization of the globe and the loss of
      individual identity, he shrugs it off. I'd forgotten that Syrians are
      hard-wired as world traders - just check out the chambers of commerce from
      Buenos Aires to Brisbane. The first in formation highway was the famed Silk
      Route which moved goods and ideas from one side of the known world to the
      other and terminated in Syria.

      The Patriarch immediately identifies the positive and sellable side of
      Damascus.

      "We may not have McDonald's here," he says, "But we have much to offer. The
      spirit. Nature. This city is a blessing of God. We call it the City of
      Saint Paul, of course, because when he came to Damascus, he had the
      experience of the faith."

      Apostle Paul is instrumental in explaining the openness of the Syriac
      Orthodox Church toward technology and new ideas. The church was grafted
      from Jerusalem onto Antioch, the former capital of Eastern Rome (now
      Antakya in south-eastern Turkey), by Aramean and Gentile converts among the
      local Greek population. A simple and central act of the Antiochians
      inspired Paul in his writings on inclusiveness: converted Gentiles and Jews
      broke a pre-Christian taboo by eating together at the same table.

      The locals coined a new term for these peculiar church members -
      "Christian" - and thereby introduced a new word into the planet's lexicon.

      Inclusiveness has contributed to the quiet survival of the church and the
      preservation of the language. The Patriarch greets the advent of
      Westernized culture with the same careful openness.

      "We have Coca-Cola here, already," he continues on his discussion of
      globalization. He shrugs. "It is the same all over the world. If they don't
      have Coca-Cola, for example, they have something similar to that. People
      always try to get the best."

      He adds, quietly: "I think we don't have our lives in the bread. We have
      it in the spirit. That's something very important."

      The Patriarch's concerns about the future are larger than fast food and
      Western movies, or even about the continued existence of the Syriac
      Orthodox Church in Syria. His concern is for the continuation of the church
      on this planet.

      "What does peace look like to you?" I ask the holy man in front of me.

      Ceremonially poised until this question, he now slumps. He sighs deeply and
      grinds his forehead with the foot of his palm.

      "Ayyy. Peace, you ask?" he says, slowly. "Peace is a tired, old man."

      His Holiness knows all about being tired. Even the boon of technology
      cannot reduce the weight of a long history.

      "Let me say," the Patriarch continues after a sigh, "in my opinion, first
      there must be peace with God."

      According to the Patriarch, peace between God and humankind has already
      been given through Christ.

      Globalization, advances in science and technology, faster communications,
      these we chase after out of novelty and need. They will each impact our
      present lives and the future of our planet in ways we are just beginning to
      understand, but they will not bring peace. As the Patriarch says: Peace is
      a given. It is we humans who don't accept the gift.
      Yvonne Seng, author of Men in Black Dresses: Quest for the Future Among
      Wisdom Makers of the Middle East, is a cultural historian specializing in
      the Middle East and Turkey
      Copyright (c) 2004 The Daily Star