Benedict XVI extends heartfelt greetings to Orthodox on St. Andrew's feast

  • Al Green
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2008
      http://catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=14481

      Vatican

      Benedict XVI extends heartfelt greetings to Orthodox Church on St.
      Andrew's feast

      Vatican City, Nov 30, 2008 / 01:16 pm (CNA).- Following the
      recitation of the Angelus, Pope Benedict noted that today marks the
      Feast of St. Andrew, and that his feast day highlights the
      relationship between the Catholic and the Orthodox Churches.

      "St. Andrew is the patron saint of the Patriarchate of
      Constantinople; for this reason the Church of Rome feels closely
      connected to that of Constantinople by a tie of special fraternity,"
      Pope Benedict said.

      Little is definitively known about St. Andrew. He was originally a
      disciple of John the Baptist and along with John the evangelist he
      became one of the 12 Apostles of Jesus.

      After the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead, St. Andrew brought the
      Gospel to numerous parts of modern-day Turkey, including
      Constantinople.

      St. Andrew was martyred on November 30, 60 A.D. under the reign of
      Emperor Nero. Instead of being nailed to a cross, historians
      generally agree that he was tied to the cross to prolong his
      sufferings.

      According to tradition, Pope Benedict said today that he had sent a
      delegation of the Holy See, led by Cardinal Walter Kasper, president
      of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, to visit the
      Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I.

      Pope Benedict XVI also said, "With all my heart I extend my greetings
      and my best wishes to him and to the faithful of the Patriarchate,
      calling on all the abundance of heavenly blessings."