Give a Can; Get a Cookie Food Drive Fundraiser

  • mateliza@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2008
      Give a Can; Get a Cookie Food Drive & Fundraiser
      PHARR: St. Georges Orthodox Church, located at 704 W. Sam Houston in Pharr,
      will be hosting its Annual Open House and International Bake Fest on this
      coming Saturday, December 6th from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM. During this event,
      for the past four years, the Bake Fest also included a “Give a Can; Get a
      Cookie” Food Drive and Fundraiser to help benefit St. Georges Food Pantry,
      which serves many needy families in the Pharr area.
      “Since last summer and the hurricanes, the local Food Bank has been
      stretched to its limit. Often there is little food to share,” said Father Antonio
      Perdomo, Pastor of St. George’s. “With the current financial crisis, the
      number of families who come to us is rapidly increasing. At Thanksgiving, we gave
      away turkeys to 130 families, and had to turn away another 30.”
      Open twice a month on Wednesdays, St. Georges Food Pantry has grown from
      only a few participants when it opened the summer of 2004, to well over 1000
      individuals served in November of 2008 alone.
      “During our Annual International Bake Sale and Open House,” said Elizabeth
      Perdomo, Father Antonio’s wife, “we also reach out to the community and ask
      others for help as we try to help our neighbors through St. Georges Food
      Pantry. It is unbelievable how many families come to us who are in real need.”
      “Those who come to the International Bake Fest can help us help families in
      need by bringing canned foods and other non-perishable food items.” added
      UTPA Junior and Food Pantry Volunteer, Analucia Perdomo. “These donations are
      sort of like an “Admission” to the event,” added Ms. Perdomo, “In return for
      sharing canned goods or cash donations for the Food Pantry, we share a sample
      of our home-baked goodies.”
      In addition to the “Give a Can; Get a Cookie” food and donation drive, St.
      Georges Food Pantry needs volunteers to help pick up food orders from the
      Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley, and helpers who sort and distribute boxes of
      food to program recipients.
      “At one time, it was enough for me to take my pick-up truck to the Food Bank
      and pick up our orders,” continued Fr. Perdomo, “Now, it often takes three
      vehicles to load up the food and get it back to the Church.”
      St. Georges Food Pantry is also in need of one-time and regular monthly
      financial support. “To continue feeding more families each month, we need help
      from local businesses, individuals and families” said Mrs. Perdomo. “Whether a
      one-time donation or a modest regular monthly contribution of $10, $20 or
      $25, every penny is well spent and is greatly appreciated.”
      The International Bake Fest also includes the sale of International Foods
      and Baked Goods, such as Greek Souvlaki and Baklava, Soups from Around the
      World, Russian Foods, International Arts, Crafts, Handcrafted Soap and Gift
      Items, as well as Eastern European Christmas Carols, Children’s Activities and
      Church Tours. “There’s plenty for everyone to do, including children’s
      activities” continued Anthropology student Analucia Perdomo, “Most people don’t
      realize the great international and ethnic diversity we have right here in the
      Rio Grande Valley or within the Orthodox Christian Church.”
      For more information about how you can help out, contact Fr. Antonio Perdomo
      at 956-781-6114 or by email at _padreantoniop@..._
      (mailto:padreantoniop@...) . Contributions can be made to St. Georges by mail at PO Box 667;
      Pharr, TX 78577. St. Georges Food Pantry and other Parish outreach ministries
      can be found on the web at: _www.stgeorgepantry.org_
      (http://www.stgeorgepantry.org/)

      St. George's Orthodox Church
      Rio Grande Valley of Tropical South Texas
      _www.stgeorgepantry.org_ (http://www.stgeorgepantry.org/)
      _http://matushkaelizabeth.vox.com/_ (http://matushkaelizabeth.vox.com/)

      AOL.com.