Christianity is more humanistic than secular humanism

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008

      Christianity is more humanistic than secular
      humanism, the Russian Orthodox hierarch believes

      Moscow, December 1, Interfax – Christianity is
      much more humanistic than humanism of secular
      kind, an Orthodox bishop believes.

      “What is more humanely: to prove that man
      originated from a monkey or to tell him he was
      created by God? What is more humanely: to suggest
      that nothing awaits man after death or to promise
      him afterlife? What is more humanely: to justify
      disorderly sexual relations, divorces, abortions
      or to stand for lasting family with many
      children?” Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria
      said in his interview to the Science and Religion magazine.

      According to Bishop Hilarion, who represents the
      Russian Church to the European Institutions, “it
      was Christianity that brought man to
      unprecedented height, thanks to Christian
      morality, slavery gradually vanished in the
      world, Christian morals gave the basis for today’s human rights conception.”

      Bishop Hilarion considers it “a deceit of
      atheistic kind” to oppose humanism to religion:
      “We stand for a human being, while you, priests and clerics, are against him.”

      “I am convinced that Christianity is more
      humanistic than humanism of secular kind that, in
      fact, is deeply antihuman as it is equally anti-Church and atheistic,” he said.

      Bishop Hilarion noted, “Man is ennobled only with
      consciousness that he is the image and likeliness
      of God, a spiritual creature dominating in
      natural and social world called to transfigure it
      and rein it.” “Human self-affirmation leads to
      self-destruction,” the Bishop believes.

      However, he thinks, “We shouldn’t negate every
      truth of humanism as many reactionary theological
      trends do, but to establish creative Christian humanism.”