Bishop Hilarion congratulates Metropolitan-Elect Jonah

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2008
      Europaica 160

      Bishop Hilarion congratulates Metropolitan-Elect Jonah

      On 12 November 2008, following the election of Bishop Jonah
      (Paffhausen) as the Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of All
      America and Canada, Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria sent him
      the following letter:

      Your Beatitude, dear Metropolitan-elect Jonah,

      It is with special joy that I learned today about your election as
      the Archbishop of Washington and New York, Metropolitan of All
      America and Canada. Axios, axios, axios!

      From all the extraordinary circumstances surrounding your election
      it is clear that the Lord's providence is behind the popular vote
      which elevated you to the primatial office. Truly, vox populi vox Dei.

      I am convinced that under your spiritual guidance the Orthodox Church
      in America will speedily recover from turbulence and will enter a
      period of renewal and spiritual prosperity.

      I wish you many blessed years and pray to our Lord Jesus Christ for
      the success of your archpastoral ministry.