IOCC SUNDAY

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2008
      SCOBA
      The Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas
      8 East 79th Street, New York, NY 10021

      You will be enriched in everything for
      great generosity which, through us,
      will produce thanksgiving to God.
      (II Corinthians 9:11)

      IOCC SUNDAY
      November 23, 2008

      The Hierarchs of the Standing Conference
      of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas

      To the Most Reverend Clergy, Venerable Monastics and Devout Faithful
      of the Holy Orthodox Churches in the Americas

      Dearly Beloved in Christ Jesus,

      Grace to you and peace from God our Father and from our Lord Jesus Christ.

      On this Sunday before our national feast of Thanksgiving, we give thanks
      to our Merciful God for all His blessings, and we take time to remember
      International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC). As the humanitarian aid
      agency of SCOBA, IOCC serves throughout the world as ambassadors of God’s
      mercy. Agency staff and partners feed the hungry, care for the sick, and
      provide essential relief to those whose lives have been shattered by
      man-made and natural disasters. Through your generous support, millions
      of hurting people receive the care and attention that all people deserve.

      IOCC’s mission is to respond to our Lord’s call to minister to those who
      are suffering and are in need throughout the world, sharing with them
      God’s gifts of food, shelter, economic self-sufficiency, and most
      importantly, hope. Since its inception in 1992, IOCC has delivered more
      than $275 million in services to some of the world’s most vulnerable
      people. From famine relief in Ethiopia to assisting the victims of
      Hurricane Katrina; from fire fighting equipment for Greece after the
      devastating wildfires of 2007 to relief for the war-torn Caucasus (both in
      Northern Ossetia and Georgia), IOCC brings comfort and assistance to
      literally tens of thousands.

      As Saint Paul said to the Corinthians, God provides us with the means, in
      every way, so that we will be generous at all times (2 Cor. 9:11). A
      generous heart makes way for the grace of God to freely flow both to the
      one who receives, and to the one who gives. Through our giving, as God has
      given us, we enter a holy cycle that glorifies God and uplifts our fellow
      neighbor. When you support IOCC this holiday season, your love extends to
      families in need of food and shelter.

      As your spiritual shepherds, we exhort you to be mindful of your
      blessings, and to joyfully share your bounty with those who are struggling
      throughout the world, as well as your loved ones. In doing so, you not
      only bring them help and hope, but you kindle the holy flame of God’s
      love.

      May our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ bless you and your families this
      holiday season, as we offer thanksgiving to Him, and make ready to receive
      Him anew in His Glorious Nativity in Bethlehem.

      With paternal love and blessings in Christ,

      †Archbishop DEMETRIOS, Chairman
      Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

      †Metropolitan PHILIP, Vice Chairman
      Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
      of North America

      †Metropolitan CHRISTOPHER, Secretary
      Serbian Orthodox Church in the USA and Canada

      †Metropolitan NICHOLAS of Amissos, Treasurer
      American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese
      in the USA

      †Bishop MERCURIUS of Zaraisk
      Representation of the Moscow Patriarchate

      †Archbishop DMITRI Locum Tenens
      Orthodox Church in America

      †Archbishop NICOLAE
      Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese