Reflections on Interview w/Bishop Hilarion

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2008

      http://www.svots.edu/News/Recent/2008-1105-reflections-from-dean-and-
      chancellor/

      Reflections on the Interview with His Grace, Bishop Hilarion

      Fathers John Behr and Chad Hatfield reflect on the recent interview
      with His Grace, Bishop Hilarion.

      Dear Friends,

      Our recent posting to the St Vladimir's Seminary website of an
      interview with His Grace, Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria, has
      provoked much and intense discussion: this is good!

      Bishop Hilarion was already being discussed as a candidate for the
      position of Metropolitan of the OCA, and in order to raise this
      discussion to a serious and informed level, we conducted an interview
      with His Grace, soliciting his views on a wide range of topics,
      concerning Orthodoxy in the West, in America, and the place and role
      of the OCA, for his thoughts on such matters are not widely known.
      Regardless of his candidacy for Metropolitan (about which there are
      widely disparate views), His Grace is an important person in world
      Orthodoxy and has much to say that we can benefit from hearing, not
      least his comment that the autocephaly of the OCA should not, and
      indeed cannot, be revoked, for the role and vision of the OCA is too
      important.

      Providing space for such comments had led to a more serious and
      informed discussion, and as such it has been of service. St
      Vladimir's Seminary has always stood for serious discussion of the
      issues of the day.

      To those who have been offended by our posting, or have
      misapprehended it as an institutional endorsement of the Seminary, we
      apologize. We ask, however, that prayerful, open-minded and serious
      discussion be encouraged and supported, as the only proper and
      possible way to reach a consensus.

      Archpriests John Behr and Chad Hatfield

      The Martyrs Galacteon and his wife Epistime at Emesa
      November 5, 2008

      --- End forwarded message ---